Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp missing

• Please log in to reply

jockgrubb

jockgrubb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have a toshiba sa40-151 laptop but after trying to restore using recovery discs i found that the optical drive was not working.After obtaining a replacement when i try to boot up i keep getting a message saying that the operating system is missing.Any help greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The laptop needs to boot from the CD-ROM drive in order to install XP from the recovery discs, but your system has not been set up to do that so it's still trying to boot from the hard disk on which the operating system has been damaged in some way.

You need to keep tapping a specific key on the keyboard as soon as you turn on the laptop. This will bring you into the 'BIOS Setup' screen where you can change the "First Boot Device" to CD-ROM.
The specific key you need to tap when you power-on varies by manufacturer, but you should see a message at the bottom of the screen when you turn on the laptop -- this will say something like "Press XX to enter setup", where XX will be the name of the actual key you need to press at that moment in time.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 12 January 2010 - 05:45 AM.