Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Decent Gaming for $500?

• Please log in to reply

knewc77

knewc77

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! First post!

So I am building a computer for educational purposes, and plan on making this for typical home use and games. Although it's not top of the line parts, I think this will be able to handle most games these days. I plan on installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu. Heres the list, any suggestions or upgrades that may be cheaper then what I've listed?

Case - Apevia $90

Motherboard - Gigabyte ATX AMD $90

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 2.8ghz

Heatsink & Fan - Masscool $12

Ram- GSkill 2 gb $53

Video Card - Radeon HD 4650 $53

HD - Seagate 7200rpm 250gb $47

Sound Card - PPA Int'l $14

CD Drive - Samsung CD/DVD RW $20

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome.

It's looking pretty good, just a couple of thoughts:
  • Don't bother with the sound card, the Gigabyte onboard audio is very good.
  • I wouldn't use the PSU that comes with the case. You could try looking for a cheaper case and getting a decent PSU. A great case for the money. A much better quality PSU.
  • Also you might want a processor from their newer range, such as this - already comes with a heatsink/fan.
Cheers