Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lsass.exe Unable to locate. Mpr.dll not found. Have no disks

• Please log in to reply

revenger

revenger

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My daughter was given a Dell Latitude d600 by her grandfather that he purchased at a local computer store and we were not given any disks. She is running Windows xp and the computer will start and than goes to screen that states: Lsass.exe-unable to locate component. This application has failed to start because MPR.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem. With an ok button.
when you press ok, the computer shows a blank screen. It will not operate in safe mode or perform any functions at all.

After starting it up I have tried: Last know good configuration and that does not work either.

The only thing she has done different was adding a webcam and used skype. It worked fine for one day and she powered it down. When powered back up I get this problem.

I am of course writing this from another computer.
Thank you in advance

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you need to run sfc /scannow...
try booting into safe mode with command prompt...
at the prompt..type in...sfc /scannow
NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
it may ask for the windows cd...
if so ...and you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

Edited by happyrock, 13 January 2010 - 09:44 AM.

Asphodel

Asphodel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
In addition to the previous reply here's a good article about lsass.exe

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for the fast reply. I tried what you suggested and I get the same error message as described. I get a black screen when I enter as you instructed that shows: Safe mode in all four corners and the same error message in the middle of the screen. Across the top it states: Microsoft ® windows xp ® (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090804-1412:service pack 2)

Do you have any ideas where to proceed from here? Thanks

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Asp, thanks for the link am checking that out now...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Happyrock,
Since I do not have a copy, I took back the computer to where it was purchased and they reloaded windows xp. It still did not work. It turned out the motherboard was broken and they replaced the motherboard and it is working fine now. Thank you for your time and sorry if I wasted any of it by thinking it was a software issue. Thanks again for your help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)