Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error Message: File Setupuppreg.hiv could not be loaded

• Please log in to reply

RJRandolph

RJRandolph

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I desparately need help with the following problem.

I'm attempting to install Windows XP on my computer. I am using the six (6) Windows XP startup disks (obtained from the file downloaded from the Microsoft support site) because the drive was formatted and repartitioned in Fdisk.

During the setup I get the following error message during the install of files on disk # 3: File Setuppreg.hiv could not be loaded. Error code is 4108.

I have tested both the HDD and the memory sticks.

The hard drive is a Seagate model (SATA), which I tested with their Sea Tools utility; It passed.

I tested the memory sticks with Microsoft's Memory Tester (I believe that is the correct name) utility. Both sticks passed, although I suspect one so I am attempting the install with just one stick in the computer.

These are the specs of my computer:

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Dell DXP051
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A05, 5/30/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Seagate SATA Drive
Ram: 512 installed for setup

(One note: I did update the bios before the install)

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this message and how I can get pass this point?

Thank you.

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hi, have you tried booting directly from the XP CD and not using the 6 diskettes?

RJRandolph

RJRandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Crowbar6761

Thank you for your earlier reply to this post.

I got busy and am just now getting back to you .... or others who read this.

The HDD had to be reformatted because of a bad virus.

I reformatted in dos using the Fdisk utility.

I think I did it correctly:

1. start up with disk
2. a:> fdisk /mbr
3. a:> fdisk
4. partition drive - fat 32
5. set partition to active
6. a:> format C: /s

After formatting, I try to make a directory on the C drive for the "i386" file, but the message displayed is that the commmand is invalid.

restarted and booted to the CD. The windows install begins, but after accepting the license agreement, the screen displays to choose the partition for the install, but there are no partition listed.

I'm stuck and I don't know what to do. If my dos commands were correct for fomatting, I should be able to see the drives, but.....

Help, somebody !!!

Reggie

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Hi,
How about trying to create the partition from the windows install. Right where you say there are no partitions listed is where you can create a new partition. So create the partition using the maximum available space, and let the install format it.
I believe (straining my memory here) that you would pick "C" to create a partition, you will then be sent back to the XP setup screen and press "enter" to install XP on the partition you just created. This is where you would be prompted to format the partition you just created. It should NOT be formatted to fat32, it should be formatted to NTFS.
This site has some decent instructions, and lots of screen shots to help you out. http://www.buildeasy.../windows_xp.htm

You say that you suspect 1 stick of ram? Did you let the memory tester run more than 1 test? I like the microsoft ram tester, let it run overnight if you can, to get a better picture of whats going on with your ram. 512 mb is really not much ram to work with, but you can always install more after you get XP up and running.

I hope this helps you out a little - post back with results.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

Yes, thats an excellent site. Lots of screen shots, I will be bookmarking this one for future use!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let me know if it helps you. I think you need to start over and unpartition the drive and reset it up. Format using NTFS instead of FAT32.
Is your XP a full version, upgrade, recovery, or copy?

RJRandolph

RJRandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks all for your replies...

I'm going to start over and follow your suggestions.

I will look at the links you provided and bookmark them also.

My installation CD is a full version, Windows XP Home, incl. Svs Pack 2.

Will report back with results.

Thanks

Reggie

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you are welcome. Please let us know if there are any other questions you may have.

RJRandolph

RJRandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Gentlemen, et al,

I've followed through with the posted suggestions, but no success.

I booted from the installation cd, but get no further than a stop screen after accepting the terms of agreement.

Screen presented to choose the partition onto which the files are to be loaded displays the following:

"Unknow disk"
"There is no disk in this drive"

That's displayed 4 times.

Now, I have a floppy that contains, what I was told by Dell's HDD section of their forum, the necessary mass storage device drivers. I used F6 to install of the the four options listed after I pressed "S" to specify the floppy drive. If I'm correct, the correct driver needs to be installed this way in order for the Windows XP installation to recognize the drive.

The window gives me four options; 2 each for Desktop -- one SATA RAID controller and one SATA AHCI controller.

The other options are 2 each for Server/workstation -- one SATA RAID controller and one SATA AHCI controller.

I tried installing each one, but got the same results.

When I press "enter" just to see what would happen, I got the ubiquious

"A problem has been detected...caused by the following file: setupdd.sys
Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_ Area"

Here is the technical information, if it is appropriate to understanding what's happening...

Stop: 0X0000008E (0XC 0000005,0XF84C39A8,0XF7FD675C,0X00000000)
Setupdd.sys -- Address Base at F849C000,F84C39A8 Date stamp 41107C8F

Thus, I'm stuck in the water and cannot even get to the portion of the install to allow the installation program to do the requisite formatting and install.

Please advise

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what Dell is telling you but this message:
"Unknow disk"
"There is no disk in this drive"

Clearly states that the problem is the cd is not being read correctly.
Have you cleaned the cd itself?
How bout can you borrow another cd of the same type? Home, media Center or Pr

RJRandolph

RJRandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't really have access to another CD. The one I'm using is my own, which includes Service Pack 2. I have another one that has Service Pack 1, but had the same results before I posted here. Since that one did not have the necessary files (I subsequently found out)I switched to my present CD with Svr Pk 2.

I always clean any installation CD before use so I know its clean.

As far as Dell's forum, etc.....plaleeeeeezzze don't get me started. :)

Some of the respondents are so condescending and..., well suffice to say my dealings them have not been the most helpful or rewarding. That's why I started searching other forums.

I need to do something 'cause I can't keep using my girl friends laptop when she needs it for her day trading.

I hadn't done so, but I'm going to make my initial post here on Dell's forum and see what they say.

Mean while, if anyone has any other suggestions, I would certainly appreciate them.

Will advise what, if anything, Dell has to say.

Reggie

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok then if not the cd itself the issue is with the drive.
Either the cd is scratched or dirty or the drive itself is having a problem.
The other option is to contact Dell directly and purchase a recovery disk from them.
Also being a Dell there is a chance that there is a recovery partition on the drive already.
I don't know if this will work but try it:

Dell:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

RJRandolph

RJRandolph

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'll give it a try, but I never knew the recovery partition would survive multiple fdisk and dos-based partition attempts.

I did post to Dell's forum, but no response yet (may not since the formatting got all screwed up...I copied and pasted from MS Word... :) ...but I digress)

Will update.

Reggie

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It seems what you did was fdisk the C partition and the Recovery partition is still there. Now that is not to say it is intact but it still shows as being there.