Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not sure if it's a virus or hardware related

• Please log in to reply

amsteRDamage-420

amsteRDamage-420

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I use AVG Free for antivirus and Sygate for firewall. The other day, I heard a "clunk" in my computer and it completely froze. The more I tried to investigate it, the more frequently it froze, until finally it froze on every startup following the sound of the "clunk". Sometimes I would get a "NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD which I believe relates to memory.

Last night it allowed me to boot up, with one major issue - Windows Security Alert told me I may not have antivirus enabled. My firewall wasn't open, and AVG said that no modules were operational. The internet was active, but browsers wouldn't open.

After hours of fiddling in safe mode, there was no change. Sygate wouldn't open in safe mode either, and the AVG files were locked. I grabbed my external drive and installed BitDefender from another computer. It installed fine, but it was unable to remove AVG. Ive disabled all startup tasks and non-Microsoft services, and somehow got a Firefox window to open, but certain applications still wont open.

BitDefender scan found no threats.

Attached Files

Edited by amsteRDamage-420, 12 January 2010 - 12:27 PM.

Advertisements

amsteRDamage-420

amsteRDamage-420

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I just tried to install Zonealarm and it said "You do not have permission to make these changes, you must be an administrator"

...but I'm the only account on this computer.