Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb cdburner

• Please log in to reply

rcguyme

rcguyme

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
[bleep] i bought a cdburner it uses the usb port to plug and play well that is what it said so i tryed it and nothing went into the device manager to see if the device was there and nope does not show it at all
funny thing i have never seen one that came with two usb cables one looks like a printer usb cable the other looks like a round phone plug and usb how can i get the computer to show the burner

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did it come with any disks? what's the make/model of the burner? what's on the other end of each usb cable? normal USB connector? have you plugged both of them in? typically USB burners require a lot of electricity so USUALLY burners have a plug for external power, if it's not one that plugs into the wall then it could require it to be plugged into two usb ports to allow for extra power from the computer

rcguyme

rcguyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes it has two plugs one of them has a end that looks like a printer plug and usb and the other one has a small round plug like on a charger for a cell phone and usb plug as far as the make of the unit USB Slim External CD-ROM CD-RW CDRW Burner no name sold on flea bay

Color: Black case
Condition: Brand New
1. External slim CD-ROM CD-RW Drive
2. No external power adapter required, powered by USB.
3. Plug & Play, travel easily
4. Hot-swapping capability
5. Support windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista

Package Includes:

1 pc CDRW drive
1 pc USB data cabel
1 pc USB Power Cable (PS2)

Compatible with:

Work with any laptop and desk pc with USB port

Edited by rcguyme, 12 January 2010 - 06:42 PM.

rcguyme

rcguyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
more unfinish questians on this matter a couple times i replug the cdburner in a beep happend so i went to the devie manager to see if the burner was showing and found in the usb controllers section had a yellow ! mark now when the cdburner was unpluged that yellow mark was not there.what has me fliped out is when the burner is pluged in the unit above would be under usb mass storage device with a yellow ! mark and will not accept the usb driver that came with the cdburner what does that mean

Edited by rcguyme, 12 January 2010 - 08:03 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah
there you go....the one USB cable that plugs into the drive and then has a normal USB plug on the other end goes to a USB port from the drive, the OTHER one with the round plug on the other end plugs into a PS/2 port (mouse port)...the little round guy with the holes in it

rcguyme

rcguyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes but the litte guy that has the holes in it ps/2 there is no plug for that how can you plug a usb connector in to the mouse port

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the ROUND end (with the pins) of that cable would plug into the PS/2 port on your computer which is where a PS/2 mouse would plug into, it's usually green (and obviously round)..if you don't have a PS/2 port on your computer, then you can't use this drive on your computer because that PS/2 cable is where the drive gets it's electricity from

Edited by dsenette, 13 January 2010 - 08:48 AM.

rcguyme

rcguyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
sorry but you miss understand the round plug only fits in the burner on the other end of that plus is a usb plug and the othe plug has a printer plug and it allso has a usb plug

Edited by rcguyme, 13 January 2010 - 10:27 AM.

rcguyme

rcguyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
funny thing on the burner back it shows a usb icon on one usb side of it and the other shows a - and + icon on the burner

Edited by rcguyme, 13 January 2010 - 10:30 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....you either need to find out the make/model of this contraption or you need to take some pictures of everything

have you tried plugging both USB cables that came with the drive into the drive however they're supposed to fit, and then plugging both of the other ends into the computer?

rcguyme

rcguyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes i have connected both cables and get a code 10

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's generally a device error....i assumed it was because it's not getting power (as i assumed you weren't plugging things in correctly...still can't be sure but it sounds like you've gotten it plugged in)...the device COULD be faulty. but without knowing the make/model of the thing it's difficult to say. it could need special drivers for it to run but there's no way to get those if we don't know what the thing is

rcguyme

rcguyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
thanks for all the help i went into google search engine and typed in code 10 and you should see all the pages on this issue i cant belive microsoft woint fix there mess thanks
i have contacted the store and iam returning the burner. now i need cdburner for my slim line desk top pc

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i cant belive microsoft woint fix there mess thanks

it's actually not microsoft's mess to fix...code 10 errors are TYPICALLY the fault of the manufacturer of the product. either a malformed driver or junk hardware

when you go out burner shopping make sure to get one that has external power that plugs into the wall, you'll have A LOT less problems with it (Especially since this is on a desktop not a laptop)

rcguyme

rcguyme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yes i will again thanks for all the help