Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant Load Past The Windows XP Screen

• Please log in to reply

liefman360

liefman360

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
My Wifes Computer started having this problem after the computer froze while being logged in and she help the power button down for the restart and when it started back up she had this problem. The computer will boot but when it comes to the Windows XP loading screen where the loading bar is under the Windows XP nothing loads and it reboots everytime. We want to do everything to try to correct the problem because we have information we dont want to lose. Anyone have any suggestions woould help out tons thank you all very much. :)

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Make and model of your wife's computer and do you have the install cd for it?

Murray

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Im not 100% sure on the Model but it is an HP Desktop and I am having to buy new Windows XP Cd's for both of the computers in my home due to bad misplacement while moving :) But I will have 2 new Windows Cds after work today.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
In the meantime, before you get your CD, can you try the following to see if you can get a Blue Screen error code for us...

Keep tapping F8 after switching on the PC
When you get the advanced boot menu display, choose Disable automatic restart on system failure
This should stop the PC from automatically rebooting and hopefully show a Blue Screen with a Stop: error 0x000000?? Can you please post this code if you can see it.

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yes I sure will sorry it took me so long to respond had some errands to run using the Lirbrary as my computer source at the moment I will try it out and let you know asap. Thank you very much again. :)

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok so I try to get the advanced boot screen up and It allows me to but does not give me all the options that it should. It gives me the safe mode options and last known good configuration and start normally. Now I unpluged a red cord that is for the drivers and plugeed it next to the slot it was in and it allowed me to choose the f8 and the do not restart setting once it did the error was 0x00000023 I did not get the code that was in the "( )" but I can keep trying if this is of no help. Once again sorry for taking so long and thank you very much for your support. :)

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hi liefman360 :)

Did you manage to get an XP CD yet?
If not, download Recovery Console and burn it to disc. To do this...
  • Download the Recovery Console ISO image here
  • Install and burn the rc.iso image to disc, to do this, see here
Once you have the RC disc or a Windows Disc, run a full chkdsk...
Note: Full chkdsks make take approx 1 hour to complete, do not interrupt the process once started
Posted Image
1) Insert CD and boot from the disc
2) Press R for Repair
3) Enter the corresponding number for the Windows partition (usually 1)
4) Press Enter for the Administrator password
5) Type chkdsk /r and press enter

Once the chkdsk is complete, restart your computer and let me know if it now boots into Windows

liefman360

liefman360

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok Oxide Sry for taking so long I will have the cd tommrow I will try this and get back with you asap. Thanks again for all of your help :)