Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics card and motherboard compatability

• Please log in to reply

thatguy999

thatguy999

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been having a loud buzzing noise that sounds like it's coming from a fan. I've checked most of my fans and HD's and Power Supply and it doesn't seem to be coming from any of those. Someone told me that it could be the fan on my graphics card. Didn't even know they had one. After some snooping around i believe this to be the problem. Is it possible to just change the fan or should i just get a new graphics card? My motherboard is a Asus P4P 800se. If i need a new graphic's card, does anybody know what type i would need? PCI, AGP, or something else. Does the fan on a graphics card sound like it could be the problem? I'm not trying to spend a bunch of money, and I don't think i need a super high quality card as I don't do any gaming or video editing stuff. What do you guys think? Any help or info is much appreciated! Thank you.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Motherboard specs HERE
The following expansion slots are on your motherboard.
1 x AGP 8X/4X (0.8V, 1.5V only)
5 x PCI

I suggest a AGP graphics card.
Do you know what Graphics card you have now?

thatguy999

thatguy999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have some kind of ATI card.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK
Tigerdirect pricing starts at $25.00
NewEgg prices starting at $28.00
Watch the shipping because I think Tigerdirect is free shipping under a certain weight.

thatguy999

thatguy999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the info brother. I really appreciate it. Does the fan on the graphics card sound like a likely culprit for the problem i'm having?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be but the best way to find out is to open the system and turn the system on while listening at the video card. Just make sure you ground yourself before touching anything on the inside to prevent shocking the system.

thatguy999

thatguy999

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks again!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. Let me know how it goes and if there are any other questions you have please feel free to ask.