Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Easy Question for most!

• Please log in to reply

750steve

750steve

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Guys i'm just about to install Windows 7 on my desktop PC & i'm going to upgrade the RAM when i'm at it, i done a RAM scan on Crucial.com & it came up with the results in the pic below.

With reference to the bottom box at the LHS it says "Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*"

"*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory."

Does this mean i've got to buy 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM to upgrade (ie will each slot in my machine (Dell Inspiron 530) only take 1GB of DDR2?)

OH, & is there any way to back up my favourites (or bookmarked sites i should say) & emails (including contacts) so i can transfer them from Vista to WIN7 (i'm using MS outlook 2007)

Attached Thumbnails

• Memory___Copy.jpg

Edited by 750steve, 12 January 2010 - 05:24 PM.

Advertisements

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Just got the bookmarks thing sorted.

Bookmarks > Organise Bookmarks > Import & backup

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Does this mean i've got to buy 2 x 1GB sticks of RAM to upgrade (ie will each slot in my machine (Dell Inspiron 530) only take 1GB of DDR2?)

Yes on all questions
1 gig total in each slot
2 x 1 gig sticks to get a total of 2 gigs

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Thank you rshaffer!!

any idea on how to back up my emails & contacts in MS Outlook 2007? I Don't even know if its possible

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you want to save your Outlook's address's and Messages then go HERE and follow the steps.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Ok, took a stick of RAM out & it says PC2-5300u-555-12-E1.1GB.2Rx8 667

Which of those numbers are important?, im thinking '1GB of DDR2 5300 667MHZ' (240 pin?) & i need 2 of em..........but im no genius mind!! lol

Is there a difference in quality etc or are there types to avoid?

Edited by 750steve, 12 January 2010 - 06:23 PM.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

If you want to save your Outlook's address's and Messages then go HERE and follow the steps.

& thank you again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) :)

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Ok, took a stick of RAM out & it says PC2-5300u-555-12-E1.1GB.2Rx8 667

Which of those numbers are important?, im thinking '1GB of DDR2 5300 667MHZ' (240 pin?) & i need 2 of em..........but im no genius mind!! lol

Is there a difference in quality etc or are there types to avoid?

^^^^^^^ though, i'm not finished doing your head in yet! lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are trying to get to 2 gigs of memory then I would suggest buying a matching pair of 1 gig sticks.
My preference is either Crucial or OCZ.
You need some suggestions for pricing?

Advertisements

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

You need some suggestions for pricing?

That would be great!! But im using £'s

Is there a difference in quality then? Crucial is about 50% more expensive than some i can find! (admittedly on ebay so it might be pure poo!)

Is this ok? He's about 10 miles from me!! http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item45ee731763

Edited by 750steve, 12 January 2010 - 06:48 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would not buy computer parts on ebay as you have no ideal if they are new or not. Usually used parts will not have any warranty on them either.
Do you have NewEgg or TigerDirect there?
Any computer store you can buy it from?

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

I would not buy computer parts on ebay as you have no ideal if they are new or not. Usually used parts will not have any warranty on them either.
Do you have NewEgg or TigerDirect there?
Any computer store you can buy it from?

Just PC world!! & they're crap!! or i can get this Kingston memory? http://www.mplex.com...ory-26/681.html

Did you check that link out i posted, it's Crucial memory & i'm going to meet the person (so i don't have to wait on the post) & get the memory off him tomorrow night if possible? I'm an impatient git!!

Edited by 750steve, 12 January 2010 - 07:11 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes I looked at it and it does look like it will work. I guess at this point we wait to see if it will work when you install it now. Hopefully everything will work great and you will be back up and running even faster. :) :)

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Should i go for the Crucial Memory off Ebay (if i can meet the fella selling it.......just for delivery speed really) or should i spend the same amount in Mplex (a retail shop here) & get the Kingston stuff??

You'll be glad to know when thats answered it'll be my final silly question!!