Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Mouse randomly freezes

• Please log in to reply

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hi all.

I'm using an ACER mouse that came with my computer 2 years ago. I haven't had a problem up until the last week. :)

Every now and then the mouse freezes/disappears off the screen for a few seconds before reappearing and acting normal. It is a laser mouse.

Is the mouse dying or does it just need some TLC?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The only moving parts on an optical mouse are the buttons and scroll-wheel so I doubt it's wear and tear causing the problem. Still, it is subject to faults occuring just like everything else. An internal fault may be causing the mis-tracking.

Try to borrow a fault-free mouse and if that works okay buy yourself a new one.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
Try and cleaning the eye.
Take a cotton swab with some alcohol and wipe where the eye is on the bottom of the mouse.
If it wireless then try the battery.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

The only moving parts on an optical mouse are the buttons and scroll-wheel so I doubt it's wear and tear causing the problem. Still, it is subject to faults occuring just like everything else. An internal fault may be causing the mis-tracking.

Try to borrow a fault-free mouse and if that works okay buy yourself a new one.

Hi phillipcorcoran. :)

I've already tried a different mouse and it has worked perfectly. I did consider an internal problem in which case I will have to swap mice.

Thanks. :);)

Try and cleaning the eye.
Take a cotton swab with some alcohol and wipe where the eye is on the bottom of the mouse.
If it wireless then try the battery.

Hi vally. :)

I'll give your advice a shot. I was unsure how I should go about cleaning this mouse and wasn't game to try without advice first. As it's corded I won't have a battery to replace. If this doesn't work I suppose I will have to get rid of it?

Thanks. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
[QUOTE}I've already tried a different mouse and it has worked perfectly. I did consider an internal problem in which case I will have to swap mice.[/QUOTE]

From reading this topic and the answer above you just stated i would say the mouse is failing.
I would purchase a new one and save yourself some headaches.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

I've already tried a different mouse and it has worked perfectly. I did consider an internal problem in which case I will have to swap mice.

From reading this topic and the answer above you just stated i would say the mouse is failing.
I would purchase a new one and save yourself some headaches.

Hi rshaffer61. :)

I'll give the mouse a quick clean and if it freezes again in the next 24 hours I'll just get a new one. It has lasted 2 years which is pretty good I must say.

Thanks. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I usually go through a mouse every 10 to 12 months. I'm pretty rough on them to say the least.

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Yep I usually go through a mouse every 10 to 12 months. I'm pretty rough on them to say the least.

Yeah the same used to happen to me until I got this mouse.

It hasn't frozen for the last 24 hours! Yay! :)