Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading laptop HD - cloning methods?

• Please log in to reply

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Hi,
I want to stick a larger HD in my Gateway T 1616 laptop. Ideally I would just do it and reinstall Vista, but I have moved 3 times in 12 months and fear I have lost the Recovery or installation discs that it came with. If I cannot find them what do people think is the best way to achieve this?

1)Should I just buy a install disc from Gateway?

2) Should I buy one of the HD cloning devices that are available? It's about the same cost as a disk from Gateway and reusable for my other laptop.
or
3) Should I buy a USB enclosure and use one of the free cloning programs that are available? Also reusable, and it would allow me to use the 160gb drive I want to replace as an external drive or link it to my NAS or whatever...

So those are the options I see, is there something else I don't know about? What do you think is the best way and why?
Thanks,
Andrew

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Your 3rd option is best. 'clone' your existing drive to the new drive which will be (temporarily) mounted in a 2.5-inch enclosure. Then switch drives.

Why use this method? -- because I've done it so I know it works. I have no experience of the other methods you mentioned.

delawaredrew

delawaredrew

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thanks for the advice!

The existing drive is partitioned into a 10gb windows only section and a 150gb general section. Does that pose any problems for the cloning? I see alot of info about the benefits of partitioning, but haven't had any experience with it. I assume the cloning program will just recreate the existing partition.

What program did you use to clone it? I'm looking at EASEUS Disk Copy.

Edited by delawaredrew, 16 January 2010 - 09:05 PM.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
Typically each HDD manufacturer has their own free program for cloning a HDD. I tend to go with WD hard drives and they have a very nice and easy to use utility on their website.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Your best bet is to clone the entire drive to a new drive. You would want a USB enclosure to do this. You also need a new drive that is larger than what you have existing.
You boot from the CD that you create with Easeus. This is a really good program. I have used the disk copy as well as ToDo copy and their partion program.

And yes it will handle the partitions you have because you are cloningf (making a exact copy of) the other drive.

Do not reformat the original drive until you get the cloned drive tested and operational.