Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lenovo w500 laptop crashing in extended desktop while projecting

• Please log in to reply

eletowt

eletowt

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
This is a new w500 laptop purchased for our projecting needs. While projecting after 15 minutes or so the image begins to shake and then the computer loses extended desktop and reboots. Any ideas?

Advertisements

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
The w500 an amazing unit.

1. Make sure that when you run presentations you are in presentation mode. I think the option is in your Think Vantage software somewhere.

2. If that is not the problem. I would try to run a Lenovo System update first. Click the blue Thinkpad button and select the update option. See if there are any graphics card updates first. Those units have switchable graphics one would be an intel integrated vga, and the other should be a quadro or FireGL. Also see if there is a power management driver update.

3. If that does not help. Try to disable the integrated graphics in the bios. If your are using a W series notebook, I am assuming you are presenting some demanding 3D visuals. If you are working from the integrated card, it could be stressing it out. The switchable graphics is a cool idea for saving battery life. However, there is a reason that you are using that beast of a workstation. Disabling that weak integrated card is a good idea.

eletowt

eletowt

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I've heard rumors that the ATI graphics card that is the switchable card doesn't handle extended desktop well. Does that ring true at all?

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have not heard anything like that. I use it all the time with my T500. But that is a different card. It uses the HD3650. If you have an ATI card in your system, it would be a FireGL. THose W500s are nice.