Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB bandwidth

• Please log in to reply

Horts

Horts

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey everyone was wondering if you could help me ?

For many months i was able to plug my headset in and talk on my mic to friends, but now all of a suddern when i go to plug my headset in, its says i cannot use it because i do not have enough USB bandwidth ( this come up in a little popup on my tray). I find this wierd because iw as able to use it fine previously. any ideas ?

Thanks

Horts

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 -Horts - USB BANDWITH Headset MIC (1-13-2010)

Horts – Welcome to Geeks to Go –

For many months i was able to plug my headset in and talk on my mic to friends, but now all of a suddern when i go to plug my headset in, its says i cannot use it because i do not have enough USB bandwidth ( this come up in a little popup on my tray). I find this wierd because iw as able to use it fine previously. any ideas ?

The – Low Bandwidth Message is probably referring to the USB Data Bus Transfer Bandwidth. And not the Headset Bandwidth - --- Not enough time for complete communication between - - USB HOIST CONTROLLER and the USB DEVICE . ….

USB bandwidth is shared among the USB Devices usage. So it depends on how many USB Devices are controlled by each USB Controllers – And how many USB Controllers your system has – If you have too many USB devices being controlled by same USB Controller

But - - - - -
I need to know more about your system - - - And other details - - - before any action - - - -

Post back the answers . . . Then I will digest the data. And develop a plan . . . .

Usually what happens . . . .You end up solving the problem after you answer my questions . . . .

Describe Headset-
• Manufacturer
• Model Number
• USB ---- Wireless ---- ???
•

Describe your PC –
• Tower – Desktop – Laptop
• Quantity of USB Ports
• USB HUBs- BUS Powered – EXTERNAL Powered
• PC Manufacturer – Model –
• Motherboard – Manufacturer – Model
• Operating System – Service Pack Installed
•

What changes have you recently made - - - -concerning USB
• USB Ports
• USB HUBS
• USB DEVICES
• USB Cables
• Have you changed the Headset USB Port

Have you received & installed any PC Updates recently – Maybe an update changed /updated your Headset Driver ????
Have you added/Installed any new USB Devices? How about Games or USB Joystick ??

Jack123

Horts

Horts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi

My head set is a standard logitec headset (model unknown) with the normal pink and black plugs not wireless.

PC - Tower

6 USB ports (2 at front, 4 at back)

Pc - No manufacturer

Motherboard - Asus SLI

OP - Windows XP, SP 3 installed

I dont think i have recentely installed any new drivers / software / games that have effected the headset driver... but i may be wrong.

This happerned randomly one day when i turned the pc on.

Thanks

Horts

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 -Horts - USB BANDWITH Headset MIC (1-14-2010)

Ok –

My head set is a standard logitec headset (model unknown) with the normal pink and black plugs not wireless.

I still not sure On ---- How your Headset is connected – [/b]USB Port[/b] OR via Phone Jacks
Connected to your Audio I/O Phone Jacks - - - Specify Colors if Phone Jack - - - -

Do you connect your headset to the –[AUDIO OUT] – & [MIC IN] – Phone Jacks ?
Or do have USB Cable connection similar to photo –

02_LOGITECH_USB_HEADSET.jpg

Thanks Jack

Horts

Horts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
They are jacks... Pink and black.

the Pink is for the mic and black is for the earphones.

the earphones work fine, just the mic doesnt with the usb bandwidth. :)

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04 -Horts - USB BANDWITH Headset MIC (1-14-2010)

Sorry – but I had a problem understanding the – USB Bandwith Error - - and was thinking
That you had a USB malfunction - -

Now is your Sound&Audio on your Motherboard or do you have a sepreate Sound Card?

First Remove MIC Phone Jack Connection . . . Inspect Plug & cable for smashed/crimped spot
Reconnect to Pink Jack ---- Verify Plug is fully seated

Next - Try testing your Sound card using the Sound Hardware Wizard[/]

• Press Start Button
• Select & Open Control Panel
• Select & Open Sounds & Audio
• Select Voice TAB @ Top of Page
• Select Test Hardware
• Sound Hardware Wizard Page Appears
• Read Instructions – Press Next To start test

Complete test as instructed . . .

Post test results –

Next Examine
Device Manager[/b] – For Yellow Question Mark and/or Yellow Exclamation Mark

• Right Click My Computer
• Select & Click on Poperties
• Select Hardware TAB
• Select Device Manager Tab
• Expand Audio & Sounds
Look for Yellow Exclamations and/or Question Marks

Post Results

Jack123

Horts

Horts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey Jack

okay the results for the first test say :

" Your sound hardware cannot simultaneously play sounds and capture you voice. You can hear other people while using voice chat, but they cannot hear you. "

Second :
(see attached print screen)

Horts

Attached Files

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04 -Horts - USB BANDWITH Headset MIC (1-18-2010)

OK –Thanks
Looking at your Device Manager Snapshot – I see an USB Audio Device -??
(Refer to Device Manager Photo below)

Open Device Manager – Expand -Sound – Video & Game Controllers
Double Click on –USB Audio Device – it will probably give you a list of Drivers - & possibly some description –

Next you want to expand the USB Controlers – You should see a reference to USB Audio Device??

Do you have an USB Joystick or USB Game Controller Recently Installed that uses a MIC??
That is active - - - Double Click on that Device ---
Click on Driver TAB & Details –See what Driver is used –
Then Click on Resource TAB ---See what IRQ Is being used by this device

Your Mic may be trying to use that Driver – being it is reporting an USB Error???
Was that installed just before your MIC Problem??

Look at your Task Bar – (Bottom Lower Right Screen) – Do you have – a –
Safely remove USB Hardware Icon

Is this Game Controller now active??

01_Safely_remove_usb_hardware_icon.jpg

01_Hortz_Device_Manager_2.jpg

Post back Answers -

EDITED POST DATE - 1-18-2010
Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 18 January 2010 - 08:07 AM.

Horts

Horts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I not sure if their had been a driver installed or not, it was a while ago. but their is "safely remove hardware" button in the tray the symbolizes the same picture you had highlighted.

USB audio device : (see attached 1st)

USB controllers : (See attached 2nd)

the images may be confuseing but i dont realise how you can make them smaller images actaullay on the post like you do, so i have to scale them down and cut them so they fit into an 500k attachement.

hope they help.

Horts

Attached Files

Horts

Horts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey again.

Beeen a little while since i heard anyhting so i thought i would add something else i found out.
the USB icon in the side try says that the usb device is the Maxtor 6Y120M0. That is my hard-drive. now that i think about it, this was not their when the microphone worked.

Is thier a driver that changed this ? or an update from windows ?
i dont know if you are familiar with the server "ventrillo" ? well i use it and this is the issue, it gives me an error message when i log in, ill paste it in to see if can help you out :

" Failed to open input device. Another program might have it open already. rc = -10 "

Could it be somethign with Div X or Direct X ?

Thanks.

Horts

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
05 -Horts - USB BANDWITH Headset MIC (1-26-2210)

Is thier a driver that changed this ? or an update from windows ?

Yes that is what I is what I am thinking – Appears that you have some – USB Device Driver installed - - - for your MIC Sound --- AUDIO

the USB icon in the side try says that the usb device is the Maxtor 6Y120M0. That is my hard-drive. now that i think about it, this was not their when the microphone worked.

I am not sure what you are referring to here??--- Are you referring to the –USB AUDIO DEVICE
In DEVICE MANAGER – that I asked you ---

If it is - - - I enhanced your – Screenshot – I added some procedure notes –
To expand & Open certain Devices - - Please do so ---
And when you Open the USB DEVICE – I need you to examine the USB AUDIO DEVICE –Driver
By - (See Screenshot below)

01_Hortz_DEVICE_MANAGER_4_copy.jpg

• First clicking on the Driver Tab – (Top of Page)
• Then - click on the DRIVER DETAILS TAB – (Middle of Page)

Now take New Screenshot - using ALT Key + Print SCRN Key and paste in your PHOTO
Program - - And –SAVE AS ---- JPG Extension File -- - -Smaller file than –BMP

Might want to crop photo - (Just capture enough width)

Just Upload the JPG File …The website will adjust the Uploading size automatically – You may have to Click on the File - - -in the Manage Upload File Window above the – UPLAOD Tab
In order to insert the screenshot - - -

I suspect that it will be an USB Driver for your Hard drive - - & it may also be related to the Unknown
Device that is shown in Device Manager - -

It is kind of hard to give instructions – by what I am seeing on a screenshot – we will try this again – next time I may have to have you use – System Report – from the Control Panel - - Lets see what we get this time - -

Jack123

Horts

Horts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay...

"I am not sure what you are referring to here??--- Are you referring to the –USB AUDIO DEVICE
In DEVICE MANAGER – that I asked you --- " (please see attachement number3 )

Human Interface ( attachment number1 )

Unknown Drive (attachment number 2 )

USB drivers (attachment "untitled" )

i hope this helps :S

Attached Thumbnails

• number3.JPG
  • number2.JPG
  • number1.JPG
  • untitled.JPG

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
06-Horts - USB BANDWITH Headset MIC (1-28-2210)

Ok – Looks like you have mastered - Screenshot Management –

Tell me more about the – Maxtor 6Y120MO – Hard drive – You said it was not there before??
• All the info I have located – Indicates it is a 120Gb – Internal SATA drive - - - Not a USB External Drive as implied by Device Manager ??
• Is it an Internal Sata – External Sata Drive – or External USB ?????
• Open – My COMPUTER – Tell me what Hard Disk Drives are listed – THEN
• Tell me what Devices with Removable Storage – are listed – where is this 6Y120MO

It really appears that your AUDIO SOUND – DRIVER is a system32 usbstorage.sys ??/

The best thing for you to do - - - Go to the following website - - and update your Drivers
Look around on website for help - - -

Ventrillo server
http://www.ventrilo.com/about.php

FAQ http://www.ventrilo.com/faq.php

SETUP http://www.ventrilo.com/setup.php

Are you playing games On Line using Ventrillo?? And also do you have an USB GAME CONTROLLER - -

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 31 January 2010 - 04:39 PM.

Horts

Horts

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey again,

It is an internal sata hard drive yes.

When i look into my computer under hard drives. it only shows 1 hard drive. (see attached file "hardDrive") could it have something to do with my Anti-virus and a "backup drive" it supplies. come to think of it, this has happernd since i have installed Norton 360, also when i installed this it stoped the use of my cd-rom drive for a whileuntill i deleted a file it created somewhere deep in my computer. (just a thought)

Yes i do think that is my Sound driver, i dont understand the USB bit of that text though (system32 usbstorage.sys[/b]), i have on board sound and dont plug anything in apart form my speakers which are "plugs" and not a USB connection.

i lookd on the vent website and couldnt find any drivers. but i dont think it is a vent issue i think its my pc, am i wrong ?

Yes i am playing games online, but i dont use a USB games controller.

THanks

Horts

Attached Thumbnails

• HardDrive.JPG

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
07-Horts - USB BANDWITH Headset MIC (2-1-2210)

Yes i do think that is my Sound driver, i dont understand the USB bit of that text though (system32 usbstorage.sys[/b]), i

When i look into my computer under hard drives. it only shows 1 hard drive. (see attached file "hardDrive") could it have something to do with my Anti-virus and a "backup drive" it supplies. come to think of it, this has happernd since i have installed Norton 360, also when i installed this it stoped the use of my cd-rom drive for a whileuntill i deleted a file it created somewhere deep in my computer. (just a thought)

Well that is interesting – that this Norton 360 Backup Drive – is shown in – My Computer –
This is an – ON LINE STORAGE – I guess it is a Virtual Drive ?? Because I do not
See it in – Device Manager

Tell me more of this CD-rom file that you deleted - -

Also did you use the Norton 360 Drive to backup your files??

This is relative to your MIC Problem . .. I have to do more research so if you can
Provide me with information concerning this Norton Backup Drive . . .

You should be able to – update the MIC driver in Device Manager . . but I am I am reluctant (Gun Shy??)
To instruct you --- Let me inquire for some assistance ---

Thanks for the latest info
Jack123