Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

using a dos boot disk from USB

• Please log in to reply

canesline

canesline

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hello,

Fried my laptop from water spill. Sent in to Dell got motherboard and video card replaced. Both components need to be updated. Video card cannot be updated until I flash BIOS to A10 (currently at A08, dont know why theyre sending me old version). Cannot flash BIOS in a standard way because I have no battery and do not want to buy a new one. So I've been doing some research on how to flash BIOS without a battery. I downloaded the update for the BIOS and to bypass the error message telling me I need to have a battery in to do the update, I tried doing cmd prompt then accessing the update from the desktop and adding /forceit afterwards. Then found out this force maneuver will only work in DOS. So I'm trying to figure out how to boot DOS. I downloaded a dos boot disk file called DOS 6.22 from Bootdisk.com. When I try to run it in regular windows it says "insert floppy to write" then I press ok, then it gives me the error message "the current image format is not supported by the disk drive. So I placed it in a thumbdrive, and then tried to boot boot it from there, but it just said error and press any key to restart. So what are the steps I need to take to boot from this USB thumbdrive? Do I need to format this thing, or do something to the dos file I put into it? I'm running XP on a Dell Inspiron E1705. Any help you can give me on this would be great. The screen refresh rate is so slow because this video card is not updated that it's making my computer painful to use.

Thanks.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
If the current BIOS will support it WinFlash. If supported it's easy to use.

You could also use a USB floppy drive. I got one at WalMart a few years ago for around $30 or they can be order online for $13.

Edited by silverbeard, 13 January 2010 - 05:32 PM.