Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing / uninstalling Sunbelt Firewall

• Please log in to reply

Red929

Red929

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I downloaded Sunbelt Firewall and disabled my old firewall (PC Tools) and started to install the Sunbelt one.

During installation the setup froze and hitting "cancel" did nothing, at the time it was blocking my access to any networks (including internet) and it was stuck like that so I ended the process and rebooted.

When I rebooted I saw that the program did not exist in my Start menu or in Add/Remove programs, I also installed Windows Install Clean Up to see if it was there and it was not.

I then tried to install Sunbelt Firewall again, but now halfway through it says the following:

ERROR: ALREADY_INSTALLED

It then rolls back the current installation and finishes without installing the program.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could provide any assistance in removing the existing program that seems to on there so I can install Sunbelt Firewall correctly.

Thanks in advance.

Red

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You should have totally uninstalled the existing PC Tools firewall before installing the Sunbelt one; merely disabling it was not sufficient.

I can't find a removal tool for the Sunbelt firewall -- they seem to have withdrawn it.

All I can suggest is you do a system restore to the day (or nearest available day) before you installed it.

After that, I would leave Sunbelt firewall alone. Google is awash with tales of woe from people who have installed it then couldn't get rid of it.

There's an excellent free firewall here which i use myself on 3 computers.
It's a firewall + anti-virus package, but you don't have to install both if you already have an anti-virus solution you're happy with:

http://personalfirew...d_firewall.html

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 13 January 2010 - 08:44 AM.

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for the advice, I want to avoid a system restore if possible as I've just finished removing some malware (thanks to the help of the Geeks To Go malware team) and don't want to have to roll back to before I removed it all as that will no doubt cause some problems.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Red929, 13 January 2010 - 03:42 PM.

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Hi, you could try Revo Uninstaller. Also try clearing your temporary files with a program such as CCleaner

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hmmm no luck with Revo Uninstaller unlike this lucky guy: http://www.geekstogo...gh-t264906.html

I did run TFC before I tried the uninstaller though so maybe that had something to do with it?

Is there any way of checking if there are any traces of Sunbelt Firewall on my computer other than trying to reintall it and the error popping up (want to avoid installing it altogether at this point, in case it works! :)) ?

xblindx

xblindx

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
You could try doing a manual search for the files via start->search

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you went through our malware forum and 1 of the malware techs helped you, they usually have you clear the restore points and then set a new restore point. They do this so that you have no malware hiding in the restores.

Do you recall if they did that?

Red929

Red929

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
No I don't recall doing that, but I'm confident that if the Revo Uninstaller worked for the other guy who had exactly the same problem and the only difference is that I ran a temp file cleaner like recommended above before trying Revo (which detected nothing) then it is all gone or at the least not causing any problems.

I have subsequently installed Comodo Firewall and it seems to be running well.

Thanks for the help and suggestions guys!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible