Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Annoying beeps

• Please log in to reply

SalemGuy

SalemGuy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I bought a new computer which has developed a very annoying habit of randomly (and frequently) double beeping, as in when a new piece of hardware is added or removed. The double beep tone (going up when hardware is added, and going down when removed) is driving me crazy. I'm not adding or removing hardware, so the beeping is unrelated to what I'm doing. I can't shut it off. Any suggestions for what's happening and how to stop it? Previously, it was a welcome tone that confirmed that I had either added or safely removed a component, but now it's acting like a virus. :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
This can happen if you have a usb-powered device (ie does not use mains power) plugged into a usb port and there's barely enough power from the usb port to drive that device. It will constantly connect - disconnect because a constant voltage can't be maintained. Especially if there are several other USB devices plugged in to the same PC at the same time.

I have a portable external drive that does that. It works on my laptop just fine, but on my main PC there are about 7 other USB devices all plugged in so the usb drive just can't get a constant supply of power and it 'bleeps' continually on-off.

SalemGuy

SalemGuy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The only USB connection I had was a docking station. So, I disconnected/removed the docking station and connected the three components directly to the computer's USB ports. So far I haven't heard anything - even the "new hardware added" double beep. I need to go to work now, but thanks very much for the reply. I'll follow with this again late in the day.