Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Reboots Randomly or Doesn't Start...

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't see the Speedfan picture and it is beginning to sound like a motherboard issue but i will wait for the Speedfan results.

Advertisements

troche

troche

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I'll do my best to get the SpeedFan picture...if I can get the machine to boot to Windows XP again or consistently. That the biggest problem. If I can I'll post it...

troche

troche

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
The biggest problem was getting the PC to boot to where it would stay on and I could then download, install and run SpeedFan. Finally able to do this and the first couple of times I ran it took forever for it to start. When it finally did the text box in the upper left corner (where the status messages are displayed) contained the following:

Win9x NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:Yes SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked VIA VT82C686 SMBUS at $EC00
Scanning ISA Bus at $0290
Scanning VIA SMBus at $EC00...
INFO: unable to use VIA686 sensors (bad I/O BASE)
Found WDC WD5000AAKB-00H8A0 on AdvSMART
End of detection

There were no pictures, graphs, etc. showing temperatures, volts, RPMs, etc. I was able to find the hard drive temperature (28C) which was in range for this device based on the report generated online.

Do I need to enable the sensors or does this indicate a bigger problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So if I am reading this right you tested the memory and one stick was having a problem?
I also suspect a failing motherboard based on the info you provided above.
Speedfan has always provided a picture when it is running just like the one I posted.
How old is this system?

If you are using 128 meg sticks then it is probably at least 5 years old.

troche

troche

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I tested the memory, all three sticks (128 MB each) were able to be tested but the system rebooted on one. There were no errors reported though so I suspected it was the original problem. I then ran the tests again and a different stick caused the same behavior. This was random as well for subsequent sticks. At this time the PC had been on for a while as well (sometimes when I allow the PC to remain off for a few hours or overnight it "seems" fine).

As for the system's age, the PC was purchased in September 2001...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like you may have a motherboard starting to fail. I also don't see the speedfan post showing the temps and voltages of your cpu. Can you look at post 4 and reply back with the requested picture please.