Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1501 dim screen

• Please log in to reply

Chrissy86

Chrissy86

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
My cousin gave me his dell inspiron 1501 to reformat and it was working fine..all of a sudden the screen is dim pretty much black u can see the icons but very barely..am very confussed as to weather or not it is a hardware the light or the screen or wether it is fixable and it is not my computer any help would be very much apreciated! thank you

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
You may have inadvertently pressed some keys which reduce screen brightness.

Go into Control Panel >> Power Options and see if there's a slider to increase brightness. There's usually separate sliders for battery usage and for mains power usage.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
With the Dell laptops, you can hold the purple Fn key on the bottom left of the keyboard and then press the up arrow to increase the screen brightness.

Chrissy86

Chrissy86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I tried to find the slider that you were talking about for the brightness for the battery and the screen but i couldnt locate it..it now has windows 7 on there would that have something to do with it?

My boyfriend and I have tried everything we possibly could to get the light or brightness on the screen but the screen still remains very weak and you can only see the operating system running in the backround if you tilt it the right way and stand under a light..

is it possibly a burnt light?

goldhound

goldhound

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

I tried to find the slider that you were talking about for the brightness for the battery and the screen but i couldnt locate it..it now has windows 7 on there would that have something to do with it?

My boyfriend and I have tried everything we possibly could to get the light or brightness on the screen but the screen still remains very weak and you can only see the operating system running in the backround if you tilt it the right way and stand under a light..

is it possibly a burnt light?

There have been some problems with Dell laptops regarding the backlight switch. We had a Studio 15 with that problem. Also a problem with the power supply on another Studio laptop that caused the same dark screen problem, converter circuit needed repair.
It can even be the wiring in the hinge area, did you try moving the screen back and forth to see if it flickered?