Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My window size has issues & more

• Please log in to reply

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
As you can tell from the title (I hope) the size of my windows are messed. I can't get them to open to the full screen size. Now before you say duh just stretch them with the arrows at the sides finish reading this. I have tried to stretch the [bleep] things they will not be stretched to my full screen size (which is wide-screen due to most new computers only being in bloody wide-screen) in fact when I maximize the screen it does not fill it up it goes into a nice little square most likely the size of a smaller or non-widescreen computer. This all happened suddenly, yesterday it was working, I took it to school and logged onto the web and bam! All my program windows no longer opened to the full size of the screen.

In an attempt to take a screen shot for you to see what was happening I found out, oh joy nothing happens when I press the insert/prt sc button nor when I press it and alt at the same time (its not pasting into either paint or photoshop).

Thanks for taking the time to read my issues
- Death by Blue Screen

Edited by Death by Blue Screen, 13 January 2010 - 07:14 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this and see if it works.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've been trying to do that but it won't paste anything meaning it didn't copy anything to paste. I tried multiple times. My print screen button is labeled in its abbreviation prt sc and coupled with insert one one key between f12 and delete which is coupled with sys rq.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get SnagIt
It's free for 30 days and we can use it till we are done and then uninstall it.

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Posted Image

Posted Image

this is what it looks like, its not just with my web browser as you can see, its with all other programs.

I've gotta go for the night but as Schwarzenegger says: I'll be back

Thank for all your help.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congrats on the Snagit working for you. Now can you try this and let me know what happens.
In the top blue bar on any screen can you move your mouse cursor to it and double click. Let me know what happens.
Try the Firefox screen. At the top put your mouse on that blue bar and double click.

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Already tried that and it doesn't go larger than what I posted in the picture that's its maximized size in any program. I tried it again today and got the same result the thing just won't go to the full screen size.

The window is acting as if its the size of the screen when its not. In my pictures my window size is at its 'maximum'. I've tried stretching when its not on maximum but it won't go any larger than it is on 'max'. I've tried all the usual tricks for window's not being the full screen size (ex. what you just told me, stretching the window, moving the window) but its not working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Strange, have you checked the OS itself for problems? Try this and let me know what the results are.

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Revised and Simplified:

Do you have a valid XP CD?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below:
  • Click on Start and select Run... type sfc /scannow (note the space) (Let this run undisturbed until the window with the blue progress bar goes away)

SFC
- Which stands for System File Checker,
retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.
If you want to see what was replaced, right-click My Computer and click on Manage. In the new window that appears, expand the Event Viewer (by clicking on the + symbol next to it) and then click on System.

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried to do the start run then sfc/scannow but it says it can't find that file. I don't have the disk on me at the moment (I'm at school) so I'll try the rest of what you said later today and tell you how it goes.

Thanks again for everything.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It is very possible you may have a active infection stopping this.
Let me know if it works when you get home and if not we will try a few other tests.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just did some research and found this:

If you maximize a Window and you find that it is still not large enough, try displaying the Window at Full Screen. Here's how:

Press and hold the Ctrl key and then double-click the Window's title bar.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Another suggestion I was just informed of since this is a recent issue.

How To Restore back to a earlier date.

To do a System Restore follow these steps:

 Click Start and then to All Programs
 Scroll to Accessories and then System Tools
 Click on System Restore
 A Welcome screen will come up and you need to click on Restore My Computer To A Earlier Date
 Then click on Next
 Now you will see in the window Select A Restore Point. From here select a date a couple of days before the problem started.
 Then click Next
 On the Confirm Restore Point Selection window verify the Restore Point you chose is correct.
 Close all open programs and click Next
 The computer will now automatically shut down and reboot. When it restarts you will see ”Restoration Complete” page and then click OK
 Once you have made sure that everything is now running correctly then please reply back with the results.
If this does not work then follow the next steps to do a Repair Installation

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The system restore didn't work and the ctrl + double clicking the top of the window is the same as double clicking without holding ctrl (meaning it doesn't work either unless I'm doing it wrong which I highly and regretfully doubt). I tried doing sfc /scannow with both the XP CD and DVD I have but couldn't get it to work (it kept saying the same thing as without the CD, sfc/scannow not available/not there).

I'm going to try the method for people without a Window's CD and see how that works. Hopefully I'll have some luck.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK I'll await the results

Death by Blue Screen

Death by Blue Screen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Epic fail is my luck with this computer problem. It didn't work again. I can tell you the exact message I get when I try sfc/scannow though.

Message of fail:

Windows cannot find 'sfc/scannow'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file click the Start button, and then click Search.

By the way what does msconfig stand for? Does it stand for Microsoft Configuration? If so what does that do? Maybe there's something through there I can try. It's saved as an option on my run file.