Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need a Bandwidge guage app

• Please log in to reply

Gaberial

Gaberial

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
So I'm trying to find an application that will help me find out what kind of bandwidge im actualy getting from my ISP. Ive been suspecting that I am getting throttled down douring certain times of the day. I am paying for 10MBS a second download ... and douring prime time, my download speed drops to about around 5 to 15 kbs. Im not 100% sure its their fault or my network (which i doubt since im wired directly into the router, the modem and the router are less then 6 months old)

So if anyone could point me towards a free program that would allow me to see this or even some other solution im not aware of. I do have the capability to plug directly into the modem to test as well. I dont like the drop in usage since im an avide MMO player and dont appriciate the loosing all ability to play due to 45 second dead spots from lag. So I want to know if its time for a new ISP or if something else is causeing this problem.

If any other information is needed let me know and will provide.

Thank you for the time.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i use Speakeasy.net. it's an online bandWIDTH (i notice for some reason you're saying bandwidge) tester. it's pretty accurate and easy to use

as a note, if you're on DSL, or cable broadband there are factors that go into the actual bandwidth you get compared to what you're paying for.

for DSL your distance from the ISP is a HUGE factor. if you live 2 blocks from the distribution center, then you'll get the advertised bandwidth almost 100% of the time. However if you live 30 miles away, you might reach the advertised bandwidth 50% or less of the time.

both cable and DSL are SHARED services. which means that EVERYONE in your area who's connected to the service is using the same "pipe" (wire, cable, etc..) so their traffic will slow your traffic down. so if you work the night shift, you'd probably notice that during the day when everyone else is at work you'd get really high speeds (possibly even OVER the advertised rate) but when everyone came home for lunch your speed would drop drastically because everyone's going to youtube or facespace or whatever.

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes i didnt knowtice i was saying the wrong thing but thank you. :) Sorry When i made the post i was tired and frustraited. I use Xanadoo and paying for their highest bandwidge connection avaliable to this area. And I do understand what your saying and expect it but when im paying for a speed advertised to be almost 2x as fast as what i need and getting 1/10 of that douring the times i actualy have a chance to play my beloved MMOs ... well you can easly see my frustraition. Anyway thank you for the advice, as always yall make me proud to be a geek!