Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fatal System Error

• Please log in to reply

jkylie

jkylie

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,

My computer recently restarted on its own to install updates from microsoft and upon restarting (i wasn't paying much attention) my computer kept restarting and i noticed that I was getting the blue screen of death.

This is the error that I am receiving:

STOP: c000021A {Fatal system error}

The windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000034 (0x00000000 0x00000000)

The system has been shut down.

Not sure how to fix this. I don't want to lose whats on my computer. Can someone help troubleshoot this?

I should also note that about a year to a year and half i had someone work on my computer due to spyware. Since then the computer has been working, but every time i restarted it gave me a message about a registry key being moved. Might or might not matter.

TIA!!

Edited by jkylie, 13 January 2010 - 09:30 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Turn the computer on and immediately start tapping the F8 key. When given a menu of boot options:

1: Choose "last known good configuration". If this doesb't help try option 2.

2: Boot in "safe mode" and perform "System recovery" by clicking Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore. Restore to a date before the problem started. If not successful try option 3.

3: Try to boot to "safe mode with command prompt". At the prompt type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe . This should open the restore option.

Do you have XP CD in case wee need it?

jkylie

jkylie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't had a chance to complete the suggestions and will be out of town for the next couple of days. Upon my return I will look for the XP CD (Im sure I have it) and complete the recovery steps.

Thank you.

jkylie

jkylie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Turn the computer on and immediately start tapping the F8 key. When given a menu of boot options:

1: Choose "last known good configuration". If this doesb't help try option 2.

2: Boot in "safe mode" and perform "System recovery" by clicking Start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore. Restore to a date before the problem started. If not successful try option 3.

3: Try to boot to "safe mode with command prompt". At the prompt type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe . This should open the restore option.

Do you have XP CD in case wee need it?

Option 1, 2 and 3 did not work. I am currently looking for the XP CD now. Will post back as soon as I find it! :-( BOOO

(also, just a side note, my sister has the exact same laptop and 3 months came up with the exact same issue after an updated!)

jkylie

jkylie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
FOUND IT!!!

However, will I not be able to recover my files?? :)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What we are trying to do will not affect your data which can be recovered at any time.. please do the following:

System Restore from the Recovery Console. {adapted from Geeks to Go. Original source unknown to me}. Xp installation CD required. Boot with the CD and when given the option choose to repair the computer by pressing "R", opening the Recovery Console. Type 1 when asked for OS installation (assuming there is only one OS installed). Type the administrator password when asked to do so and press Enter. Press Enter if there is no password.

* At the prompt Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd system~1\_resto~1
* Press Enter
* Type: dir
* Press Enter

After you press enter you will see a list of folders (like rp1, rp2) If the list of restore points has more than one page then press the Enter key untill you reach the end of the list

* Type: cd rp {number of the second to last folder in the list). Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
* Press Enter
* Type: cd snapshot
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
* Press Enter
* Type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC will reboot.

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

* Type: CD \
* Press Enter
* Type: cd windows\system32\config
* Press Enter
* Type: ren system system.bak
* Press Enter
* Type: Exit
* Press Enter

Your PC should reboot

If not successful open this link and follow the instructions. Reboot and test the computer after each step.

jkylie

jkylie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
so i am kind of freaking out. i started the computer with the CD and and it didn't really give me an option:

Type 1 when asked for OS installation (assuming there is only one OS installed). Type the administrator password when asked to do so and press Enter. Press Enter if there is no password.

so currently right now it is "file copy...please wait" and is 13% done!
the screen says system recovery and then a list on the left.....hmmm......

jkylie

jkylie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Okay here is where i am now. It wouldn't allow me to do what you posted, so if I missed something I am going to wait to hear from you.

Currently it says:

SYSTEM RESTORE OPTIONS:

-Full System Restore (Destructive)
**Warning** This option will format your hard disk and reinstall all factory-shipped files. Use this if all other options fail to resort the machine to a satisfactory condition. All your personal data files and applications will be lost.

-Full System Restore (with Backup)
This option will move all Hard Disk contents to the "c:\My Backup" directory and install a new copy of Windows. This options preserves your existing data files, however all applications and settings will need to be reinstalled. This option requires 4 GB of free hard disk for the new OS.

I do realize that I SHOULD chose option 1, however, I am curious if i should chose "quit" and try to find where i went wrong with your instructions above.

I have attached a pic of what the screen looks like right now.

I will wait to proceed. Thank you in advance.

Attached Thumbnails

• restore_pic.jpg

Edited by jkylie, 24 January 2010 - 01:45 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would not go, yet, to any of the above options. If you choose the first option you will lose all your data and reset the computer to the same state it was when you bought it. If you choose the second options You will not lose your data but, as stated, you will have to reinstall all your applications and update fom the beginning. Before we take such an agressive step we would like to try to recover the system to a date before the problem started.

Your installation CD doesn't allow a recovery the way I wish to try. Please download XP Recovery Console from my list of links below. Burn the ISO file to a CD and boot the computer with the new CD. Now follow the instructions in my previous post.

Please note that burning an ISO file is not like burning data files. If you are not sure about the burning process please download BurnCDCC from my links and run it. It's a very simple program dedicated to burning ISO files.