Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want a tech check on the build before I start buying parts :)

• Please log in to reply

lucynshiney

lucynshiney

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, so I'm about to dive in and start building a gaming PC... I've done all the research and picked my parts. I'm gradually going to be buying the parts piece by piece over the next few months. I just wanted to get a 2nd opinion and make sure all the parts I have chosen are decent, but moreover compatible. I don't wanna get em here and not have the correct slots/connections. I've checked carefully as I chose the parts, but sometimes you just need a fresh eye to catch mistakes, ya know? So anyway, here goes... any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4P

Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield

RAM: OCZ Gold Edition 4GB::2x2GB x 2 (8 GB total)

Video Card: BFG Tech BFGR79512GTOCE With the option to go with SLI dual Video Cards eventually, hence the motherboard and PSU choices :)

Hard Drive: Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C

DVD Drive: Samsung SH-5243N/BEBE

Power Supply: Kingwin ABT-730MM

Case: Apevia X-Jupiter S Type-X-JPJSF-MG

Monitor: Viewsonic XSeries VX1940W 19" LCD

Heatsink/Fan: Dynatron Cooling Fan

Case Fan: 120mm Case Fan for the front of the case. The case includes a 240mm side fan and a 120mm rear fan.

Card Reader: USB Card Reader All-In-One

Keyboard/Mouse: RF Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo

Okeydokey... I included the peripherals and such just so that if someone knew they were crap, they could give me a head's up :) But mostly I just want to know that I have chosen decent hardware that will work and last... and that work together. And feel free to let me know if I'm leaving anything out or going overboard on anything. I worried about getting too much RAM or too much wattage on the PSU... but... then again, I don't want to not have enough... And the fans... My laptop overheats so bad, and I just want to make sure that my desktop does not :) Or if you know of any little things that aren't necessary but you would recommend, feel free to do so! ;) So any advice or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Julie
[/size]

Edited by lucynshiney, 14 January 2010 - 08:19 AM.

Advertisements

lucynshiney

lucynshiney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
link coming soon, it wasn't public bleh lol

Edited by lucynshiney, 14 January 2010 - 12:21 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Welcome to geeks to go:)

First off Please stop "USING" Capitol letters and Bold text formating my\ours eyes hurt from reading your post. Please just use the normal text.

Ok now. This is going to be a quick run down of what I think...

1st. For 80 more dollars I would purchase the Intel core I7 920 (save for a little longer you will be better off.) otherwise stick with what you have,

2nd. The mobo is fine I have never used it but it is a reputable company.

3rd. You are selecting ram that is at the lowest performance level of the boards ability..

For the same price you could get this better performing ram -->> HERE For a little more You could get this -->> HERE

Keep in mind when you can save money a little bit longer, and get a better part for "very" little money it is worth the time and patience.

4th The video card. You are building a nice system, with this card you are definitely going in the wrong direction... You should look at the newer series

-->> HERE for about $20 more (end cost) you would have a much better card...

5th. The Harddrive... What to say? you could find a HDD with more Cache more space the speed (RPM) is ok I'll let you find that one... Your selection will slow down data transfers.

6th. DVD burner is fine I would purchase it

7th. The PSU is another story I would not buy it at all... A power supply is a very important part of the computer. Scimp here and you "Will" have problems.

For less money you can have this Corsair (TOP OF THE LINE!!!) 650watt PSU -->> HERE

I just installed this PSU in my computer 2 days ago... Don't look at the wattage of this and think it isn't enough... This PSU will kick the kingwins all the way down the street and back again over and over...

8th. The tower isn't bad. But I would look at this one -->> here
It has a lot of nice features that will make things better during thew install and down the road. (removable mobo tray and drop down doors)

9th. Ehh the monitor, about the only thing to say about that is it isn't in stock

10th. who knows about the card reader. They are hit and miss. No great suggestions from me.

Over all this build would be much better for the long run, and viable into the future.

I hope this helps good luck

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also don't worry about that Dynatron heatsink, all you would do is throw it in the bin. The CPU should already come with a heatsink, so use it.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Thanks troy I must not have clicked that link when I expanded all of her parts list...
:)

Edited by cbarnard, 14 January 2010 - 09:02 AM.

lucynshiney

lucynshiney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, looking at your recommendations, I greatly appreciate the guidance :)

I did change the text :)

On the HDD, would 32mb of cache be enough or do you think i should go with the 64mb? Here is a 32mb I found that seems to be pretty good... advice welcome tho :)

The Heatsink Fan I was thinking of because *some* stock heatsinks are just crap... So that would be an after-purchase if the built-in is junk...

**Also**

Just found THIS in the way of memory... would this be better or worse than the better of the two you recommended?

Edited by lucynshiney, 14 January 2010 - 09:06 AM.

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hi... :)

The Heat sink fan that comes with the CORE I5 isn't junk. That is Intels higher end line, they will not complement their higher end product with a junk cooler, it wouldn't make since. After looking at the cooler you posted. I would never buy it. It is a lesser quality than the stock HSF. Also it is for an AMD cpu from about 8years ago so it wouldn't fit your Intel core I5 CPU anyways.

If you are going to buy an aftermarket HSF look at Zalman or Scythe.

Edited by cbarnard, 14 January 2010 - 09:09 AM.

lucynshiney

lucynshiney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Any advice on my last post about the HDD and RAM?

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Sorry I forgot to give you my input on your to other questions... Yes to both, I think both of those choices would be better

If I were you and you have the money I would buy the PSU now as there is it is cheaper now than the other day when I paid 100 with a 10 rebate for it

lucynshiney

lucynshiney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Awesome :) I'll go with your recommendations then. I'm waiting on one tax return to show up online this weekend, then using that to get a jump start on my parts. There are also 3 of the parts that have a mail in rebate for the month of January, so I'm gonna try to pick those up first before the rebate runs out. (I know it's smarter to buy the motherboard first, but... since I now know what parts I'm buying and that they are compatible, I don't think it'll be a big deal...) Also checking Amazon and Ebay... although I'm a bit leery about buying from Ebay, their guarantees and such aren't always very good...

Thanks so much for your help :)

Recap of what I'm going with:

Case

PSU

MOBO

CPU

HDD

RAM

GPU

DVD Burner

OS

YAY :)

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Looks pretty good to me. :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey looks good, But Ill tell you one things as to why I suggested the 920 cpu

If you want the the performance (almost) of the core I7 975 you can use the I7 920 to do it.. With the setup I gave you "and the ram you chose" you could Overclock "OC" your computer to reach the same speeds as the I7 975 "which is $1000" or you can OC your 920 and reach the same abilities for $299.
That is why I suggested the 920... I would go with the 920 all day long before I dropped 1k.

But that is just me. You seem to be knowledgeable enough , or know how to find out info. I think it is something you could handle.. Not to mention it is a lot of fun and you may get addicted to OCing

I always use newegg.com for all parts I don't use ebay... just a caution

Good luck with your computer, I will own I core I7 someday just not today...

Edited by cbarnard, 14 January 2010 - 06:30 PM.

lucynshiney

lucynshiney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yeah, I have some basic knowledge, but I'm a google and forum fiend :) And I absorb knowledge like a sponge thankfully lol.

It just sucks trying to game on a crappy Compaq laptop with 1.5G ram :) And I've always wanted to build my own desktop the way I want it... one that avoids every problem I've had with the numerous computers I've owned, ya know? lol. I would never buy a prebuilt system... not worth it.

And I really really appreciate the help :) So many options out there, it's hard to know what's best. Hopefully it won't take me TOO long to get this project paid for... I'll let ya know how it works out :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Thanks it is always nice to have feedback to how our advice helped you... So will you consider the 920 or not just wondering... :)

lucynshiney

lucynshiney

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, it's only 9 dollars more for the 920... I've never OC a processor, but if you're willing to walk me thru it once I'm done, and if it'll be a step up in performance, then sure thing :) I'll give it a shot.

If I OC, do I need any extra cooling?

Anything else you suggest if I OC, or parts I may need?