Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot boot my xp home computer

• Please log in to reply

genevive

genevive

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi there is there anyone out there who may be able to help me out.my windows xp professional will not let me or any of my family get into it all i get is a menu that says ;safe mode,safe mode with command prompt, safe mode with networking,last known good configuration and start windows normally i tried them all and cant get it to start normally so then i press f8 which takes me to advanced options menu tried all of these aswell to no avail then i press del and it takes me to another menu i have tried all of these and i still cant sort it out i really dont know what to do i have only just started learning about computers please help .i dont have a cd thanks genevive

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Unfortunately, without Windows CD, there is not much, we can advice here.
Can you borrow one?
Do you have any important data on that computer?
What brand of computer is it?

genevive

genevive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi there thanks for your reply i have now got a cd my computer is as follows amd duron processor x86 family 6 model7 american megatrends windows xp professional.no there really is not anything important on the computer any help will be much appreciated thank you genevive.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
When you pick any of the options ( safe mode, safe mode w/networking, etc ) what does the computer do?

Blue Screen? Black Screen?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You didn't say what's the brand and model of computer...
Dell, HP, Compaq, etc......

genevive

genevive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi there i am just trying it again and now i get the windows xp screen so i started it up again and went to safe mode and it scrolled up a load of things and wont do anything else the writing says multi disc ,partition system32 i dont know what thats all about genevive

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The computer will not boot in safe mode completely or it shows the windows xp desktop?

genevive

genevive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hi there the computer wont boot in any mode also a blue screen comes up and says uninstall antivirus programs and run check disc but i cant get into the computer to do what it says genevive

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Are there any error codes on the blue screen ( i.e. 0x0000007b, 0x0000007e, etc )

genevive

genevive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
no error codes

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

blue screen comes up and says uninstall antivirus programs

Where is it giving you this message?

genevive

genevive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
message flashes up for a few seconds before going to the first lot of menus when i turn computer on

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
What kind of computer is this?

genevive

genevive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
windows xp proffesional addons pc

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

hi there thanks for your reply i have now got a cd my computer is as follows amd duron processor x86 family 6 model7 american megatrends windows xp professional.no there really is not anything important on the computer any help will be much appreciated thank you genevive.

Does this mean you are considering a complete reinstall?
Is the cd a genuine Microsoft XP Professional cd or a burned copy?
Before we get to that point try this. You need to change the boot sequence in the bios to do this.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors