Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is that you, motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

dscdsc

dscdsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Me again.

Its not finding that driver.

Ive found a couple of spare ethernet cards that im now trying to make work. But they arent either. Even though ive found the drivers for those too.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
oK what do you mean it doesn't find the driver? if you are telling it to look at the dile you downloaded there should be a INF file which is normally what it needs.
As for the other cards are you sure they work?

dscdsc

dscdsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'd confused you. There was no network adapter in device manager.

When i clicked "show hidden devices" it came up with a long list of them, all saying they work, but i didnt know what they were, and they didnt seem to be the integrated lan hole. So there was nothing in device manager to point at the folder with the driver in.

This is where i am now:

http://img59.imagesh...00116180017.jpg

It says the floppy is there but it's not working, hence the phone image, sorry.

No usbs.

Lots of network adapters, the top one, 3Com, is one of the spare ones i've found, and is currently in the computer. Whether it works or not i dont know, there's no lights to indicate so but if its recognised thats a good sign surely?

And then the PCI Simple Communications thing and video controller. There is a video card, fx5200.

Thankyou.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
PCI Simple Communications
This could be a modem or a network card

video controller
This would indicate a on board video chipset.
I also just thought of something. Have you gone into your bios to make sure the onboard network card is enabled?

dscdsc

dscdsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Here?:

http://img51.imagesh...00116183636.jpg

I had seen that before. It's disabled, and blued out.

edit:hahahaahahaha

as soon as i clicked that link to see that it worked i saw the light.

Edited by dscdsc, 16 January 2010 - 12:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah!!! A major break through for sure.

I also see your USB is disabled.

Is your network connection now working?
Does it show up in Device Manager now without showing [b]Hidden Devices[/b?

dscdsc

dscdsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Indeed.

thats done the trick. usbs working, onboard lan working.

still no floppy but thats not urgent.

thankyou very much.

now to get on the phone to virgin media.

could it have been a virus or malware that disabled them in the bios?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could have been and it might be worth a trip to the malware forum just to have your system checked out by the experts to make sure it is clean.
Can you explain the floppy problem again and i may be able to assist with that,
What is the issue with virgin media?

dscdsc

dscdsc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The a: drive isnt being recognised but thats not urgent. could that also be disabled in the bios, i didnt thinkto look just now.

Its the limited or no connectivity thing now. thats a case of settings, ive sorted these out before, i should be able to manage that, unless you can put it in a sentence.

I'll make sure everyting is clean as soon as possible.

Virgin media are the cable company but i shouldnt need to ring them. just need to know the tcp/ip settingss that are necessary, as i say ive worked those out before and that should be easy enough.

Thanks for all your help.

The cable will be plugged back into the pc that were trying to get online now so thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The a: drive isnt being recognised but thats not urgent. could that also be disabled in the bios, i didnt thinkto look just now.

Yes it could be disabled in bios and may be two different setting you would have to check.
One would be to enable the 1.44 floppy and the other is the floppy drive seek. This makes the system look for a floppy on bootup and acts like another boot device.
Limited or no connectivity is probably related to the network card not working before. Hopefully that will be taken care of now that the onboard issue has been resolved.
Unless you have a issue with the modem or router supplied by virgin media then you could have them run a line test to see if the signal strength is correct and transfer rates are where they should be. This will tell you if the speeds are what they say also.

Advertisements