Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New External Hard Drive has some issue...I Have some questions...

• Please log in to reply

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
So i just got a Western Digital My Book 1.5 TB Hard drive for x-mas but i already have some problems with it. When i transfer files it is incredibly slow, about 1gb an hour. im not sure which cable is faster or better, but it came with usb 2.0 and firewire 400 cables, both of which i have plugged in right now. not sure if thats good or bad. another thing with transferring larger files (1gb+) is it often crashes the computer. at any point, usually towards the end of transfer, i get a error saying could not complete the task cause of an i/o error and windows says there was a delayed write error and could not complete the task. i also download a bit through vuse and often get the same error when trying to download files to this drive. ive been downloading to my other external or computer hard drive and then transferring. these are the main problems i get, last night i did get a 4gb folder to transfer (in about 5 hours) without a problem but got the error on the next one. i already have over 100gb on the new hard drive so i would like to not have to format it or delete anything as much as possible. thanks for any answers in advance!
andy

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The best advice I can give you would be to pick one of the ports and stick with it. Having both the USB2.0 and FireWire connected at the same time is giving your computer "fits".

The computer needs only one connection. Having both connected may be your entire problem to begin with.

I would try only the USB cable and test copy some files to your external drive. You should see a different and you I/O errors should go away.

Hope this helps,

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
when i first got it i had only the firewire plugged in cause i think i saw somewhere that it would be faster than usb. after i got a few errors with that i switched to usb, but the problems continued, so i just plugged them both in to see what happened but its all been the same. Is there anything i can do to speed up the transfer rate?

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Your transfer rate is dependent on many things.

• Speed of the Connection
  • Background Processes
  • Antivirus Scanning
  • Overall Speed of your system

USB 2.0 and FireWire are both very fast. The most probable cause of your slowness would be the speed with which your Antivirus can scan the files you are copying to your external drive. Also, if you have alot of other programs running ( i.e. loaded programs running in the system tray ) you will be taking away memory that the computer needs to cache the files before copying them.

For your data's sake, I would go here and download Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows. Install Data Lifeguard and test your external drive.

You may also want to see if Western Digital has released an updated firmware for your drive. I noticed that some of the "MyBook" external drives had firmware updates available. This too may help with your speed issues.

Hope this helps,

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
im pretty sure i dont have antivirus installed, so i dont think thats a prob. and i never leave any programs open, but i do have alot of process open in the task manager, which is all i can think of that might slow things down, i ran a quick diagnostics with life guard and said it was fine, im doing the extended test now. i couldnt get the firmware update to install, it says please connect only one mybook at a time to install, and i have no idea what the problem with that it since i only have one.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Do you still have both cables connected to your computer?

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
no i took out the firewire and just left the usb, that lifeguard extended test is still running and had about 5 hours left on it after running for a little more than 8 hours.

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ok so the scan made it almost all the way done (2455618303/2930277168)and a little error box popped up and said too many bad sectors which stopped the test.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Ok. Too many bad sectors as viewed with the Data LifeGuard tools means that the drive within the MyBook is bad. You will need to contact Western Digital with the error number and they will issue an RMA number to replace your MyBook.

Hope this helps,

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
uggg...thanks for the bad news...i emailed then but have yet to hear a response so i plan on returning it tomorrow... do you know is there anything i can do to prevent this with the next one? did i do something wrong to break it in the first place? any good hints or recomendations would be helpful and much appreciated...thanks!

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Just like any electronic equipment that has a mechanical part to it, the first thing to go bad is normally the mechanical end.

The unfortunate part is, the drive was probably going bad from the day it was manufactured. Now, am I saying they deliberately sold a defective part, No. Am I saying that every one of these you get will do the same thing, No. Hard drives are much better than they were even 5 years ago. I've personally had drives last for 9 years and I've had them last for 10 minutes.

Hard drives are susceptable to damage if they drop on the floor, get bumped hard, are shaken when they are running, and so on. But in normal use, these things don't usually happen. They are set in one spot and it's there that they live out their normal useful life.

My only suggestion would be to not drop it if that even happened in the first place. Other than that, you were probably the unlucky one who just so happened to get the one that lasted 10 minutes before it decided it was done.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Being that it is a new drive with bad sectors as reported by WD diagnostics, it should be replaced.

You can also try (in the mean time) running check disk on the drive.

Go to start....run....type in cmd and click ok.
Type in chkdsk x: /f where x is the drive letter. Note the spaces.
If you get prompted to run the check the next time you start the computer, then allow it.
It will run and attempt to fix the errors.

AE77surfer

AE77surfer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
thanks for the help guys, i actually just returned it back to bestbuy today and got the seagate version since my 160gb drive of theres has never given me problems in the 4-5 years i had it, thanks again for everything

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Thanks for letting us know.
The manufacturer of the drive does not really matter. I have used them all.

You were just unlucky to get 1 that was a problem. Unfortunately it happens.

Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible