Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hey Everyone, new guy here. My buddy brought me his laptop this morning and told me that he was getting the blue screen of death. Everything worked fine last night, doesn't remember doing any Windows Updates. I started it up and the Stop message is as follows

STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x87333e7a, 0xf7ba57b8, 0xf7ba54b4)

I tried starting the computer up in safe mode and it gave me the same thing error. I then tried to use a boot disk, changed the start up to read the CD drive and it gave me an error saying there was a loose cable and couldn't run it. HELP! My buddy uses this for a lot of his work stuff, so we really need to somehow get his documents folder backed up before we throw in the towel. Thank you very much!!!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

it gave me an error saying there was a loose cable and couldn't run it

What is the EXACT message?

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Does this computer have the recovery console?

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Broni--
The exact message I get this morning is as follows
PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

mkau--
My friend is looking to see if he can find the recovery disk. I assume that the console you are talking about is the one on that?

Thanks for the help!

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
The 0X7E error would first point me to a problem with ntfs.sys on the computer.

The second error of PXE-E61 and PXE-MOF point to a hard drive that has either been wiped clean of a Master Boot Record or even a defective hard drive.

I would start with testing the hard drive using the drive manufacturer's testing utility. These can normally be downloaded from their respective websites as a bootable ISO image that is then burned to CD and used to boot the "dead" or "suspect" computer.

If you find that the drive tests good with no defects, then I would move on to the Recovery Console for Windows XP ( if this computer is XP ) and try repairing the Master Boot Record. The command you will need once in the recovery console is FIXMBR. This utility will ask you if you want to write a new Master Boot Record. Say Yes and when it finishes, once again retry booting the computer.

If and or when you get the 0X7E error, you will then want to go into the recovery console again to repair the ntfs.sys file. If you need information on doing this let us know and we can help.

Hope this helps,

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for the help. I will look into the Toshiba site for the testing utility. Now, for probably the dumbest question I've had to ask in a long time....The recovery console should be on the recovery/repair disk correct? Unfortunately my friend cannot for the life of him find one. Is there any other way of getting one? Or am I missing something completely? I'm pretty new to dealing with these sorts of problems, sorry.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You can go here and download RC.ISO.

This will be only the Recovery Console. Burn the image to CD and boot from the disk. You will see a normal XP install screen. When you get the option to press R to open the Recovery Console, that is what you want. You will then see a black screen similar to a DOS screen and it will ask you which installation of Windows you wish to logon to. Pick whichever is "C:\Windows" and Press enter. If there is an Administrator Password, enter it at the prompt and hit enter once again.

When you have completed these steps, you will be at a DOS prompt at C:\Windows.

Hope this helps,

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I will try that right away, but, I don't see a link for the RC.ISO file. Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Windows Recovery Console HERE
Download, and install free Imgburn
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, got the RC started and then it kicked me back into the blue screen! Argh! Now the stop message reads as follows

STOP: 0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xf76450bf, 0xf7a91208, 0xf7a90f08)

pci.sys - address f76450bf base at f763e000, datestamp 3b7d855c

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Microsoft's explanation of the stop code and error message.

When you disconnect a CardBus Compact Flash (CF) adapter, your computer may stop unexpectedly, and you may receive the following stop error in Pci.sys on a blue screen:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer...

Technical information:
STOP: 0x0000007E (0xAAAAAAAA, 0xBBBBBBBB, 0xCCCCCCCC, 0xDDDDDDDD)
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

Note The four parameters in this error message may vary depending on the cause of the stop error.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I'm wondering if you have tested the hard drive as of yet?

If not, I would suggest doing that next. I would also suggest once again going to the Recovery Console and running checkdisk.

The command is: chkdsk /r

Don't be surprised if your machine sits running checkdisk for an hour or more.

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I went to the Toshiba site and they don't have any utilities for this model. I tried to run the Recovery again, and once again to try that check disk, got the same error as before

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

As for Microsoft's explanation, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...although I am getting in way over my head as far as the technical side of this issue. My friend hasn't changed anything on the computer in quite a while, other than we added Malwarebytes and Adaware last week. Hardware wise, he hasn't touched it, so I'm not sure why the CF adapter would cause an issue.

Thanks again for your patience in dealing with my lack of technical knowledge!

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You're doing just fine. Don't let this overwhelm you.

Can you boot from the CD that you burned of RC.ISO?

If not, you may have to press F10 or F12 for a boot menu and tell the computer to boot from CD.

Unfortunately Toshiba does not provide Drive diagnostics as written here.

When you are booting the machine, do you see SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED across the top then the 0X7E error under it?

If you only see the 0X7E error and no mention of SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED then you most likely have a file corruption issue and nothing to do with the Compact Flash Adapter.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No drive diagnostics for Toshiba so use the Seagate SeaTools. It works with most drives anyway.