Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Blue Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The last two times I tried to boot from the CD, the first time started up fine and was loading (I think) drivers and then kicked me into the Blue Screen, which then gave the the stop message I posted earlier. This last time when I tried booting it, I have been just automatically hitting the F12 and telling it to load from the CD just in case, it gave me the media test failure message again. I have not noticed the SYSTEM_THREAD... message anywhere.

I can't find the HDD manufacturer name anywhere, so I think I'm kind of stuck on that part.

Advertisements

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Toshiba normally uses their own hard drives in their laptops. But, on occasion, they have been known to use another manufacturers drives.

I would open the door on the bottom of the laptop and verify the manufacturer visually. You should only have to remove 2 or 3 screws to open the door that covers the drive.

If, the RC.ISO disk gave you a 0X7E error upon booting, it is also possible that you are having read errors on your cd/dvd drive and pci.sys did not read properly from the CD. You may want to make sure the eye of the drive is clean and your disk is clean ( although if you just burned it, it should be ).

Hope this helps,

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm actually having to do the burning of disks etc on a different machine. My friend did tell me that he has occasional problems with his cd drive and has been mainly using an external drive instead. Is there a way to connect that and boot from it instead? He just brought that drive in to me, so I have it if that might work. Not sure how to tell the system to boot from that drive though.

I downloaded the Seatools utility, but it seems like that would have to run in windows right?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Seagate won't work with Toshiba drive, at least from my experience.
I'm not aware of any utility working with Toshiba drives.

PXE-E61: Media Test Failure, check cable

Go to BIOS. Make sure, that the boot order reads: floppy, CD, HD
Disable Boot from Network (wording is different on every machine, may say Integrated NIC, Network, PXE-xxxxxxx)

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
You may be able to boot from the usb cd/dvd if the BIOS supports booting from USB.

The version of Seagate Seatools that you are looking for is here.

When you get to that page, click on EN under ISO CD-ROM Image. Burn that image to disk and once again boot the computer from this disk. When you boot from the Seagate Seatools disk, you will want to run what they call the "Generic Test" to test your Toshiba Drive.

You may also want to try burning the images as slow as your drive will allow. Some cd/dvd drives have problems reading disks that are burned at a very high rate.

Hope this helps,

Edited by Techextreme, 15 January 2010 - 10:47 AM.

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, I tried loading from the external cd drive through the usb, which it allowed, it ran through the loading of the files etc, then it gave me the message "Loading Windows" it sent be back to the blue screen with the same stop message as before with the pci.sys error. UGH!!!

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Try re-burning the iso image of RC.ISO after re-downloading to your machine.

It is possible that the download was corrupted.

You may also want to try reseating the memory in the laptop as well as cleaning the cpu fan and heatsink of excess dust ( take heat issues out of the equation ).

Hope this helps,

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, I'm getting some more info from my friend as things go on, not sure if this will make a ton of difference with some of these issues or not, but I better throw them out there just in case. I just cleaned it all up, rather dusty in it, but now its nice and clean again. Now I can't get it to recognize the USB to boot from it.

The end of last week, whenever he did a search in Yahoo or Google, and he clicked on the link, it would re-direct him to some shopping site and the computer was running VERY slow. He installed Malwarebytes and Adaware, found a few issues and cleaned them up (he was running them both daily just in case more problems were found, which they were not). Didn't really help the redirect problem though. Monday and Tuesday the computer was running a more normal speed so he was planning on taking the time this weekend to back up his important files and go from there. Then yesterday hit and so here we are.

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
One other thing, not sure if this pertains to anything or not, but when I try to boot in safe mode, it gives the list of drivers it is loading and everytime the last driver it gets to before kicking me into the blue screen is the Mup.sys I did a search on that file and it looks like maybe it could be an issue, but with everything else here, I don't know if I have a way of fixing that.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
With the amount of problems you are now being told about, it's very possible that the operating system is corrupted badly.

If, you can get the RC disk to boot from the USB CD/DVD drive, you may be able to replace the offending files that are showing you blue screens.

My suggestion would be to bring up the RC disk and first try replacing NTFS.SYS and ATAPI.SYS. These must be working and useable for the system to boot. You should be able to find useable versions of those files in C:\Windows\Service Pack Files.

If and or when the computer boots back up I would then suggest you refer to the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. It seems that the system is very infected with spyware and malware and will need some serious help.

Unfortunately only being a GeekU Freshman, I'm not permitted to give advice regarding spyware and malware removal until I'm much better trained in the use of the tools and utilities that are used for this purpose.

When you get the machine back up and if you post a log in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum I would suggest that you also post a link back here so the Spyware Removal team knows what all we have done and tried to get this machine back up and running.

Hope this helps,

Edited by Techextreme, 15 January 2010 - 12:33 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mup.sys means 99.9% of system we have had with this error have had to be formatted and reinstalled.
The problem isn't the mup.sys but it is the driver right after. The problem is there is no way of knowing what that driver is.
Do you have data that needs to be saved?
Do you have a XP OS installation disk?
What you need to do is backup your data using a Linux Live cd and then format and reinstall the OS fresh.

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Oh boy, okay, he does have some data that needs to be saved off the disk. He couldn't find his XP recovery/system disk, so I'm guessing he doesn't have one. Where do I get a Linux Live cd? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Linux. Would I run that just like I would the windows disk (boot from CD)?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux from my signature below...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock

Snugz PC

Snugz PC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay, I got Puppy working, but I seem to have a problem mounting the drives. I have a regular flash drive, an ext hard drive, an ext cd drive and the regular cd drive all hooked up. When I click the drives icon, it brings up the two cd drives and the main internal hard drive, about every other time it brings up the ext hard drive. However, it won't ever mount any of the drives except the internal hard drive (but its only done that twice. Am I doing something wrong?