Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Strange mouse behavior

• Please log in to reply

ShowMe

ShowMe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yesterday a strange thing happened. I went to computer and mouse was dead. It is a Dell light activated one, about 5 years old. No light. Did not work. I installed a wireless mouse I have for laptop and went on. Today I turned on computer and, lo and behold! mouse alive again, it's been working fine all day. Is there a mouse lifetime, and should I go out and buy a new one, or is this just a glitch, so forget about it??

Advertisements

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 -Showme - Dell USB Mouse Died (1-14-2010)

Showme – Hi

or is this just a glitch, so forget about it??

Is your Mouse USB or PS/2 ??

Either way . . . Sometimes whenever you boot up . . . Glitches do occur . . . And if you reboot they they go away - -- -

But it still can be a problem . . . Perhaps the Driver was corrupted – temporarily ??
And when you installed/connected your wireless Mouse – The installation Process made things good again??

It could still be a problem - - -It can show up again - --

Just keep tabs on the Mouse --- Reboot if it happens again – Keep us posted . . . .

In the meantime – Tell us ---USB or PS/2 Or could be Hybrid (USB PS/2 Compatible) - -
If it is a Hybrid - - -Turn it over …. It should say – (PS/2 and USB Compatible) underside of mouse - -

Also in the booting up process - - - When Windows is being loaded up ---- with the Status bar underneath Windows Logo Splash - - -

The Keyboard will flash the 3 LEDs & turn off ---then your Mouse should turn ---Red LED ON - -
So you can tell if you have a problem at this time …as Windows is still loaded ----

Jack123

PS Sometimes they . . . The mouse gets overworked –

Mouse.jpg

EDITED Quoted statement error - - -1-14-2010 - -

Edited by Jack123, 14 January 2010 - 03:40 PM.

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Usb is the rectangular connection - right? my connection is circular. The event occurred while the computer was on, let's say idle for 3 hours or so, it did not happen after a reboot. And it was dead as a doornail. So it looks like wait and see. I guess the worst is I will have to buy another mouse.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
02 -ShowMe - Dell USB PS/2 Died (1-15-2010)

Usb is the rectangular connection - right? my connection is circular.

Your Mouse is apparently – PS/2 Type

It should be connected to the – Green colored PS/2 Port

And the Keyboard probably is PS/2 also –
And should be connected to the –Purple colored PS/2
Port

01_ShowMe_PS2_Mouse_copy.jpg

These Connections are located on back of your PC –

Common Problems – Usually – Operator Induced Problems
• Is that these connections can –Loosen UP- or become SKEWED If you have to move the Case of the PC to achieve more working space –
• Improperly Connected – Note that they have Keyways – – Sometimes they are forced in when all the pins are not – Properly aligned – Causing 1 of the ACTIVE PINS to have a weak/compromised connection –
• Generally Connecting/Disconnecting does not cause damage with PC Power ON. . .However . . .It is not good Practice to do so . . . The PS/2 Controller can be damaged by disconnecting /Connecting with Power ON- - -

Here is an Article on PS/2 Connections & PS/2 Devices –( For Information) -
http://en.wikipedia..../PS/2_connector

One advantage of having an – Optical Mouse – [/b]Has its own POWER ON LED[/b]

Read & Understand the Following – before taking any action - -If you have any questions or hesitation – Post back your questions - - -before taking any actions - - -

Next time after you shut down the PC - - Carefully Inspect PS/2 Connections ---
Keeping an eye on the Keyways & the Color Coding - - when disconnecting – So you understand proper keyway alignment when reconnecting - - -

Inspect for bent or broken pins - - - -Note Pins 2 & 6 are inactive . . .(No Connection)

Note there is Plastic Square Guide Pin & a Notched Keyway - - Make sure that they are [b]aligned
with both Connector Plug & Receptacle – Before pressing in fully . .

Remember – [b]Purple = Keyboard Green = Mouse

01_PS2_CONNECTORS.jpg

After Inspecting & connecting the Keyboard & Mouse - - - -Restart PC and verify Keyboard & Mouse are Functioning properly - - -

Post back Results - - -

Jack123

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Thank you for complete and informative reply. Somehow, all has worked well. This site ROCKS!

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
03 -Showme - Dell USB Mouse Died (1-16-2010)

Ok – Just keep an eye open - - -This Post will remain OPEN –

Do the following now - - -

1st You Need to make a – GEEKS to GO Folder

2nd Copy & Paste Link into this folder - - -
http://www.geekstogo...or-t265193.html

Name Link - Showme – Strange mouse behavior (1-16-2010)

Then IF your mouse displays the problem again - - -

Sign/Log in – Then Click on this link . . . ONLY WITH PROBLEM WITH SAME MOUSE PROBLEM

If you have a different problem - - -Then start a New Post . . . .

It won’t take long for this post to get pushed way back to bottom of the pile

Hopefully -- This was just an anomaly –

Jack123-

ShowMe

ShowMe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
So how do I "1st You Need to make a – GEEKS to GO Folder"?
I have no Idea what to do. Make a folder on my computer, or on GTG website??/

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
04 -Showme - Dell USB Mouse Died (1-17-2010)

Sorry – I will give an alternate means of finding your old Posts –
That will be here on GEEKS to GO website . . . .

• Log on GEEKS to GO
• At the top of each page – You will see several Links –
• My Topics - My Controls My Assistant . . . .etc . . .
• Click on My Topics
• Scroll down to – Topic – Strange mouse behavior – Click on to Read

As far as making Folder - - -I was referring to make a folder on your PC - - -Using your Browser - -

If you need help - - -With making folders using your Browser- -
Make New Post - - - In either - - - -Applications or Browser Forum –
This would be a New Topic - - -and should not be combined with this Topic - - -
Even though I probably expanded this topic - - Myself - - -I should not have done so - -

Sorry for the confusion . . .

I apologize for my error . . .If you have question on the above Alternate Method of locating an old post - - Go to Site Orientations and FAQ - - - Further down the Forum Listing Page. . .
And start a new topic describing your problem - Again this would become a New Topic

Jack123

Edited by Jack123, 17 January 2010 - 02:36 PM.