Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Quick RAM choice Question

• Please log in to reply

750steve

750steve

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
This http://www.scan.co.u...ed-CAS-4-4-4-12

or this? http://www.crucial.c...B1951B4A5CA7304

Just looking to upgrade

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Since Crucial says this:

Each memory slot can hold DDR2 PC2-5300,DDR2 PC2-6400 with a maximum of 1GB per slot.*

Either will do from what I can see.
I would say which ever is closer and can get ti to you faster at the cheapest price.
Watch the shipping cost because that sometimes comes down to the deciding factor.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
Hello again!!

Still haven't got this sorted from the other night!! Was messed about by the retail shop, said they had kingston & then i got there & they didn't (as well as saying they don't do a matched pair!!)

First option is slightly more expensive (£10) but much faster delivery, second is slower but obviously cheaper.

Are both RAM's equal though?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Yes

They don't do matching pairs? That's crazy they buy matched memory all the time. When shops buy memory they usually buy more then one stick at a time so the pairs are of the same type.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Yes

They don't do matching pairs? That's crazy they buy matched memory all the time. When shops buy memory they usually buy more then one stick at a time so the pairs are of the same type.

They had 2 sticks of 6400 800Mhz DDR2 Kingston but he said he couldn't guarantee they would work like a matched pair? Talk about putting someone (that knows nothing about it) off!!

Think i'll get the Corsair, just cos the delivery is faster........prob looks better too not that it matters as you wont see it.

With a view to overclocking which of my choices is best?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Either would work for overclocking all though I don't advise people to overclock. I knwoit is something a lot of techs do advise on but I myself see no reason for it.
You are forcing the memory and cpu to run faster which in turn causes more heat.
This then causes the life span above the two parts to become shorter. Just my opinion on this.

750steve

750steve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Either would work for overclocking all though I don't advise people to overclock. I knwoit is something a lot of techs do advise on but I myself see no reason for it.
You are forcing the memory and cpu to run faster which in turn causes more heat.
This then causes the life span above the two parts to become shorter. Just my opinion on this.

Haven't done it before myself TBH, my friend is trying to talk me into doing it & i don't see much point in it myself for all it's going to do.............i mean im hardly the type to stress my system with intense gaming or large prog's etc!!

I just like speed !!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well it will only give you marginal speed increase and if you are not gaming then I don't see a reason for it.
To put it in perspective a 3.0 ghz cpu would increase to maybe 3.2 or 3.25 ghz.