Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Volume Icon

• Please log in to reply

reyey

reyey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Somehow I have lost the icon do turn up my volume on my computer. I did a search and I found the problem and it said I had reinstall the Sndvol32.exe from my Windows Cd.

To resolve this issue, extract a new copy of Sndvol32.exe from the Windows XP compact disc to the system_root\System32 folder on your computer's hard disk. To do this, follow these steps: 1. Insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into your computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive. Press and hold down the SHIFT key as you insert the CD-ROM to prevent it from starting automatically.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type cmd, and then click OK.
4. Type the following lines at the command prompt, pressing ENTER after each line, where CD-ROM drive is the drive letter of the computer's CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive that contains the Windows XP CD-ROM, and system_root is the path and folder name where the Windows system files are located (generally C:\Windows):
CD-ROM drive:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ system_root\system32\sndvol32.exe

Note that there is a space between "ex_" and "system_root" in this command.

For example, if your computer's CD-ROM drive is drive E, and the folder that contains the Windows system files is C:\Windows, type the following lines at the command prompt (pressing ENTER after each line):
e:
cd i386
expand sndvol32.ex_ c:\windows\system32\sndvol32.exe
5. Type exit to quit the command prompt.
6. Verify that you can start Volume Control and that the Volume icon is displayed in the notification area (if you selected this option).

Here is my problem when I go to install this I get an error saying "cd-rom is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable command or batch files"

What am I doing wrong? I tried entering the cd in the E: drive and still doesn't work. Please Help

Advertisements

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
hi,
may be you can try this.instead of using the command prompt,you can try manually copying the sndvol32.exe file from your windows XP CD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
insert ur xp cd.right click and open the cd rom drive.open i386 folder in OS CD and try copying the sndvol32.exe file from your windows XP CD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
it's the easy way.And also see whether you have checked the option "show volume control in the taskbar" in sounds and multimedia option in control panel.
post if u succeed.

reyey

reyey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
stallion,

I tried openeing in the system\windows folder and it tells me that it can't open the sndvol 32 folder. Now what do I do now? i appreciate your help

stallionsims

stallionsims

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
hi,
I am not clear about what you have done now.Let me try and make it simple.
you need to search for the file sndvol32.exe in the XP cd-rom drive.I suppose it's in i386 folder in the CD.once you find it,right clcick on it and click copy.
after you copy the file,open my computer and go to the location c:\windows\system32 folder.right click on any blank space in the system32 folder and click paste.
hope this helps!

reyey

reyey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I finally found it. I had to go in the d: drive and download it ,, thanks so much for your help.