Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is the browser suppose to open this file?

• Please log in to reply

AmyR2

AmyR2

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hi Everyone,
How is everyone doing? At times I try and see if I understand Javascript. I think I already understand stuff like html.
Alot of the codes used look alot like math. I've made so many websites over the years. Some where I've coded on my own, but due to my health, it is hard for me to type much. So, having to type my own codes out is something I won't be able to really do. Doesn't mean I don't understand it or anything. That is why I've tried a few pages where I've typed out the codes, and seems to all be working right. So, I figure I must be understanding it. I've had times in the beginning where pictures would not show up, and I figured out why to make it show up.
The only other thing is that since this accident with my health getting worse, has caused me to have to relearn so many things in life. Is also causing me to get confused really easily too at times too.
1st before I tell the problem, can I just double check that I've been understanding things correct all these years.
That the correct brackets to use around things.
Is it the greater than less than brackets we put around everything < >
because sometimes I've seen people use the square brackets around the codes/tags [ ]
so like for bold I've seen <b> and sometimes I see
and then the closing tag the only difference is a / right after the left bracket.
so like this </b> or sometimes I see this

Here is the link to a site that I've been to before, and you see how in the examples they give they do have the greater than left than brackets around things, so that you can see what I'm talking about
Site I got the html from

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out why I'm getting this error.
Windows Script Host Error
Script: C:\Documents and Settings\Anne\My Documents\javascripttest..js
Line: 1
Char: 1
Error: Syntax error
Code: 800A03EA
Source: Microsoft JScript compilation error

My friend who is a computer programmer says it looks like Windows Scripting Host and that is why I'm getting the error. He tried the code I put there and it seems to work for him. So, he said to try opening the browser first and then open the file through the browser. I tried with Mozilla, and all it does is shows nothing but codes on the page.
This is the code it shows
<a href="#" onClick="alert('Hello!');return false">Say Hi</a>

I got the code from a site, so I was wondering if I wasn't understanding the instructions and suppose to remove, change or add something to make it work.
Here is the link so you can see where I got it from onClick Javascript site

Thanks,
Amy

Advertisements

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Hey AmyR2. :)

I am not familiar with Javascript Coding so I am unable to help you find a solution. :)

If you haven't solved this problem then I would suggest posting a topic in the Waiting Room with a link back to this topic. You will receive help for sure from someone who can, I guarantee it. :)