Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM help !

• Please log in to reply

stoshus

stoshus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have 2x 2GB ddr2 800 (dual channel) in my system at the moment.

I have 2x 1GB ddr2 667 laying around (brand new)

if I add the 667 im guessing it will make all 6GB run at 667 (instead of 4GB @ 800)

would it be worth it adding the extra 2GB and taking a speed loss?

or would I be better off sticking with 4GB @ 800?

assuming it boots...

THANKS (this may be a stupid question, but thanks for your time)

Advertisements

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
It will clock down to 667. Why not try it to see if you get better performance? Put the extra 2 sticks in for a week and see if it feels faster and more responsive. Then in a week take the 2 sticks out and see if there is a difference.

stoshus

stoshus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thats a pretty good idea, thanks.

Its just kinda hard to tell the performance differences just by feel, unless its a big upgrade

stoshus

stoshus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
does anyone have any useful information about this topic?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What useful information are you looking for?
The advice given is sound.
The speed difference between 667 and 800 is at best nominal with maybe a second faster response time.
Before investing in any new memory it would be wise to find out exactly what your system can and cannot take.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

stoshus

stoshus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

What useful information are you looking for?
The advice given is sound.
The speed difference between 667 and 800 is at best nominal with maybe a second faster response time.
Before investing in any new memory it would be wise to find out exactly what your system can and cannot take.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

yes the above advice was sound, and appreciated.
I just wanted to know if it would be beneficial to run 6 @ 667, instead of 4 @ 800 (useful information)
I have never tried mixing modules before, so i was wondering if anyone has tried and might know anything.

didnt mean to come off rude, thanks for the help.
I have found my answer, so this may be now closed

BigNogin

BigNogin

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
You were not rude.

I myself have never felt the difference between faster ram. I remember when I was younger I would go with the faster stuff and pay a premium. Now i usually go with the standard speeds. I have mixed and matched speeds before never noticing any differences. I found it better to have more Ram than faster. However that is my own judgement. I like to play the latest games and stress my computer out with other tasks. Also I believe that if you are overclocking the faster ram would be better. I have no experience with overclocking so my last statement could be way off.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes going to the standard or maybe a step above will also allow you to maybe buy more memory.
I have to agree with Bignogin on that point completely.
I'm glad you found the answer stoshus and I hope we helped alittle with your issue. Thank you for choosing GTG for help.

stoshus

stoshus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks BigNogin and rshaffer!

people are leaning towards having the faster speeds over quantity, but the true answer still remains unknown...