Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hotmail account hacked

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Like I said, my hotmail a/c password no longer works. I tried resetting my password but the prompt question answer has been changed too as far as i can see.

Anyone got any suggestions what to do. I tried looking in the microsoft database, but hotmail hacking issues don't seem to be catered for. Maybe I'm just missing the correct link or something.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

Resident_Blonde

Resident_Blonde

Formerly known as "Crafty_Girl"

• PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
Good Morning Caine ;)

I see that you have made 7 post beyond this one and I'm not fully sure if this would be a Malware issue.

I'm going to move this post to the Applications forum in Category "SOFTWARE"
and you will get the help you need there.

http://www.geekstogo...ations-f12.html

When you come to check on your post, you will be automatically transferred to the new location.

I wish you a good day ;)

:tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
have you contacted hotmail to see what they say?

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
@Resident_Blonde:

Good Morning Caine  :)

I see that you have made 7 post beyond this one and I'm not fully sure if this would be a Malware issue.

I don't think it's malware, since I have an old hotmail a/c which I don't use anymore, but I have kept active, just in case of... well, something like this! That one's still fine. ;)

I wish you a good day :)

;)

And you :tazz:

@starjax:

have you contacted hotmail to see what they say?

I'm not sure what the address is to send queries about hacking. Could someone oblige me please?

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well this is a serious matter. I wish i could help but im not sure. I would try to contact hotmail and then if you can answer personal information they should help you.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
After a search for a solution, it appears that google is just crammed with detailed descriptions of how to do exactly what's happened to me. :tazz: I can only hope that the hotmail staff know these are out there, and are doing something to prevent it from happening. I suppose not though, if my situation's anything to go on! ;)

I did discover however that [email protected] is the correct place to start with an enquiry, so I'll pen a note off to them, and here's hoping. According to other forums I've read the procedure can take a very long time e/m back and forth to be sure I am who I say I am. I'm determined to fix this though.

I'm just wondering however if it's possible to get some "proper" or "legal" evidence of such harrassement, since this isn't the first time I've had trouble with e/m accounts? A record of the IP or account used to hack my account for example?

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Well there is always going to be that way.

Hope you get it fixed.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Well the problem's been concluded, that's not to say resolved though. I had to sign-in right from the start again, and have lost all the mails and contacts. According to hotmail support the account was just inactive for over 30 days, and they refuse to answer my query as to why each time I tried to login I was getting "wrong password" messages as oppossed to the "account inactive" messages.

Aw well, another e/m account messed with, another fruitless query to the support! :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I was called to a guy's house with this same problem. He used his hotmail account for his business and had lots of important stuff in there. He also couldn't login to MSN Messenger as a result of this. I tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. I found it strange that I tried logging into my account on his computer and it said the same thing, but when I tried logging into my account again on his pc it let me. Also tried logging into his account elsewhere, but no luck. The solution: had to lose all info, mail, contacts, and get a new account. Not a very promising answer I know... Good luck with hotmail support, I'm sure they're better than Yahoo though :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Yeah, Hotmail sucks warm farts, Gmail's where all the cool kids are these days! :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Do you want an invite?

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

samma440

samma440

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sadly, hotmail DOES suck, but it's the best we've got. Anyway, once you've got all your people re-added, click contacts, then click 'Save Contact List', that way if it ever happen's again, you can just use the 'Import Contact List' command and get all your contacts back! Not many people know this, surprisingly.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Do you want an invite? 

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

View Post

That's cool Jonny, thanks a lot for the offer but I'm already on the case. I'm no longer a Gmail virgin and tbh it's WAY better than hotmail. I'll be sticking with this new Gmail account from now on methinks.

Sadly, hotmail DOES suck, but it's the best we've got. Anyway, once you've got all your people re-added, click contacts, then click 'Save Contact List', that way if it ever happen's again, you can just use the 'Import Contact List' command and get all your contacts back! Not many people know this, surprisingly.

View Post

Aw RATS! If only I'd had the foresight. Aw well, spilt milk and all that... Didn't stop me filling out a scathing review in hotmails little "how did we do" questionaire. The cheek! They're only supposed to send those out when an issue's been resolved. They seem to have conveniently glossed over their own incompetence and my lack of e/m account. :tazz: