Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Not getting internet?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First off, thanks for you time in reading this.

As of yesterday, my computer will not detect an internet connection. It will recognize LAN, but I can find no way to connect to the internet through my computer. The cable and router work fine; when plugged into a laptop not connected to a wireless network, it can use the internet. It just seems to be my computer. Is there any way to connect? I've checked all of the internet options listed in control panel, and none of them are helping me. I've also tried the method described in the forum, but I'm not getting anything.

Edited by Takoom, 15 January 2010 - 12:23 PM.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Most likely, if this is a desktop computer that has onboard network, A power surge thru the network line has fried a connection on the motherboard. The quick fix for this is either a network card installed in a PCI slot, or a USB wireless network dongle ( if you have a wireless Router). I have seen a lot of this kind of problem in many computers.

Tiger direct has cheap remanufactured wireless dongles if you have a wireless router.

netgear PCI card

In all the computers i have seen with this problem, only once did i find that a owner did not install the chipset drivers needed for a network. At least 20 others needed either a card or wireless adapter. With Windows XP, i never have had a problem hooking to the internet if the network was working.