Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot and don't have Windows key

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Great let me know the results.

Advertisements

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Not sure what all results you want reported back, but it just says Files defragmented: 1985 files (25343 fragments), total time: 9 min 44 sec. When I click on detailed report, I don't really see any info that would be helpful to know other than it says it was at 6.60% fragmentation before and now 0%. This was when I chose defrag. I see there is also an option for defrag & optimize. Should I use that option?

Edited by jencwu, 28 January 2010 - 10:01 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope do not try the optimize as it may cause even more problems.
How is the system running now?

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I am baffled by this computer. Our circuit breaker for the bedrooms just went out while the computer was on, so it lost power. When I started it up again after clicking on my name to log in, a blue screen showed up and it said in the upper left hand corner that it was loading my personal settings. It did not do this before. As it was loading, an error message occasionally showed up saying it couldn't install something or other because access was denied. I just clicked ok and it continued loading. When it finished starting up completely, it appears to be 100% back to normal. All the icons are showing up in the system tray that were not there before, my start menu looks normal again, and it appears to be installing the Windows updates just fine right now, that it was unable to install previously. I am so confused...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hmmm a strange hiccup for sure. Well if it is working now then I guess try it for a while and let us know. If it continues to work correctly then I would go thank the breaker for tripping. :) :) :)

jencwu

jencwu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
I've been trying to think about what would cause the computer to start working after the power failure. The only change that was made right before it happened was I had changed the access to the registry key as you had told me to. Do you think that may have done it? I don't know a ton about these things, but it seems to make sense to me based on what knowledge I do have. It seemed like the system wasn't letting me make changes to it, or only very limited changes. Perhaps I didn't have access to make those changes it needed to the registry? If so, are there other keys I should grant full access to on the registry as well?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The registry is a area we don't suggest users play with as one wrong entry or change could render your system unusable.