Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with web building...

• Please log in to reply

NeedinHelp2

NeedinHelp2

• Pip
  • 8 posts
i need help setting up a site for my new buisness i need someone who knows what their doing to help me out with this if anyone could help me id greatly appreciate it soooooo much

Advertisements

mouse

mouse

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Do you have any ideas on what you want to use/do, hosting and/or domain? please provide some more information.

What is your company?
What are you going to be doing/selling?
what kind of site do you want?
what kind of space/bandwidth will you need?

Robin Hood

Robin Hood

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
Are you planning on paying for this website or will it be free?

mouse asked most of the important questions, so that's a good place to start. :)

NeedinHelp2

NeedinHelp2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i havent completely decided on a "for sure" name for the site but we do vinyl graphics and designs. I need a website that can show what we do maybe do some videos and pictures that link to the projects that we have already done. we plan on running this site on a home server.

mouse

mouse

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
A home server really isn't the way to go with a professional website. If you want to pm me some details i can help you find the right things you need.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
There are lots of free website templates available, or you could make your own from scratch with free or paid software. You should consider a real webhost because those accounts come with features like a full fledged control panel (which will allow you do set up your email, see your stats, add databases, do back ups etc.) and other services you can't do as easily with a home server. There are lots of good hosts that run about $5 a month- try bluehost.com or hostgator.com to see the differences in features. Both offer templates for sites with their hosting packages, which might make it easier for you to get the look and feel you want on your site.
Good luck!
Johanna

NeedinHelp2

NeedinHelp2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i plan on making it a home server but im going to build it how i want so it will be a pretty good server i just need a domain name an [bleep] like that and i need somone to actually take the time an sit down an help me with building the site

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you ever built a home server for a website before? Usually people learn to build sites before servers.

There are a lot of good tutorials about website building on the web. You might also want to consider if you are willing to pay for web building software or not.
Johanna

NeedinHelp2

NeedinHelp2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i have ran a site b4 from a home dedicated server i currently know how that is done but no i myself havent made a website

mouse

mouse

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Sorry, If you plan on making this site get any traffic, a home server is not the way to go. home internet connections are just way to slow.

Advertisements

NeedinHelp2

NeedinHelp2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
i can get fast enough internet guy i just need help building the site man....isnt that what i asked for in the first place...JUST NEED HELP BUILDING MY SITE CAN ANYONE HELP?????????

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
There is software, some free, some not, that you can use to build a site. Determine what you want on your site and Google web building software for that project. I'm not sure what you want us to do for you as far as "how to build your site". Register a domain name, assign the DNS, upload website via FTP. Not hard, but the home server complicates things, and you don't seem to have any clue what tools you need to build your site with. If you know HTML, you can do your site in Notepad.
Johanna

Alex_McIntosh

Alex_McIntosh

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
removed offer to build website for a fee

Thanks, Alex.

Edited by sari, 19 January 2010 - 08:04 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Alex,

This is a free forum, and we're all volunteers here. Soliciting paid work doesn't fit with our mission here.

NeedinHelp2

NeedinHelp2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok ppl im 19 i really didnt pay attention in my computer class so i got the basic controls with html....if anyone knows how to do any of the things i need help with please email me or reply here