Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with web building...

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Ok not to sound like an a$$, but at 19 setting up a production environment web server at your location is going to be difficult. You need to choose an OS, hardware (your core i7 may be fast but you are going to need more than that to serve 100's+ of people at a time), web server program (IIS, Apache), and extra libraries like PHP, MySQL, SendMail, POP/SMTP or IMAP access for email, DNS resolver / server, IP Updater (since the bulk of home/small business internet is dynamic and not static), along with all security upgrades for the OS and associated services, Performance tuning the server for maximum web traffic so it isn't throttled after 10 users. And honestly you are going to be spending 3k+ on a decent server base. Really for internet you looking atleast a 50/50(atleast) or 100/100(better) Fiber Optic or dedicated T3's for a site with decent traffic (both of which cost alot more than just having some one host it). When it comes to hosting internet server it is important to have both moderately fast downloads to your server (1st number aka your download speed) and Blazingly fast upload speed (2nd number aka your upload speed). That and I should add, most US ISP's block port 80 coming in, that and they have specific clauses in their TOS/TOU specifying what you can "host" and what you can't. That and if the server malfunctions (which it will) You will have to have a inventory of parts for easy and quick repair so the server is back online in a timely manner. Because each min/hour/day the server is down your loosing customers.

It is a big deal when taking on a home server, good for development use only but not good for production enviroments. Just to costly, esp when you can get a really good hosing account for $5~ a month.

I just hope you understand what it is going to take to get a server running at location. It is a lot more difficult than you think and more expensive.

Just my .02 on the matter of that.

For development I personally use Microsoft Expression Web v2 (I dislike v3), along with my dev server running centos5 with php 5.2.9 and mysql.

Jon

Edited by amw_drizz, 06 March 2010 - 08:15 PM.

Advertisements