Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP SETUP DISK

• Please log in to reply

pcans

pcans

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I partiition & format my hard drive
XP Setup disk is on 6 floppy disk
First disk was installed
& the second disk it says;- file \ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loadede.
The error code is 7
can anyboby help PL.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have another topic HERE for a win 98 system.
Which is the issue 98 or XP?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are trying to install XP on the computer and have a problem with a floppy disk, you will need to make another set of boot disks from the file you downloaded from microsoft. I have had at least 30% of the boot floppy disks fail with errors like yours. I have even had a set of disks work fine in one computer and fail in another computer. I have even had to download the exe file to make the boot disks twice because both of the previous files failed to make a good set of disks. If your computer can boot from a XP disk by changing the boot order in the bios, i would do that instead, it would be much easier.

Personally, i think most windows 98 computers are not fast enough to run XP, so it is a waste of time to put XP on them. I just sold a pentium 2.20 dualcore 775 system for $200 complete with LCD monitor, speakers,and a gig of memory.Why waste time on a old computer?

SRX660

pcans

pcans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

You have another topic HERE for a win 98 system.
Which is the issue 98 or XP?

The issue is the XP

pcans

pcans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

If you are trying to install XP on the computer and have a problem with a floppy disk, you will need to make another set of boot disks from the file you downloaded from microsoft. I have had at least 30% of the boot floppy disks fail with errors like yours. I have even had a set of disks work fine in one computer and fail in another computer. I have even had to download the exe file to make the boot disks twice because both of the previous files failed to make a good set of disks. If your computer can boot from a XP disk by changing the boot order in the bios, i would do that instead, it would be much easier.

Personally, i think most windows 98 computers are not fast enough to run XP, so it is a waste of time to put XP on them. I just sold a pentium 2.20 dualcore 775 system for $200 complete with LCD monitor, speakers,and a gig of memory.Why waste time on a old computer?

SRX660

This is another computer, but I bought a new 320 hard drive which I install in it. The thing is the CD don't show up in the bios

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you not have a XP cd as they are bootable if it is the full version. You can partition, format and install all from the cd itself.

pcans

pcans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Do you not have a XP cd as they are bootable if it is the full version. You can partition, format and install all from the cd itself.

I have the CD, but the CD rom in the computer can find the drives.
I used the 6 floppy, it works but when I put in the XP CD it say it can find the cd drives

pcans

pcans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

SRX660

Thanks, I made another set of the floppy disk & it works.
But when I put the XP CD & enter it say's can find the cd rom drives

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to set the boot sequence in the bios so that the cdrom is first?
Is the cdrom seen in the bios?
Try the following.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

pcans

pcans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Have you tried to set the boot sequence in the bios so that the cdrom is first?
Is the cdrom seen in the bios?
Try the following.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

BIOS SETUP UTILITY

Main Advanced Security Power Boot Exit

Under advanced is :-
PCI configuration
Boot configuration...........1. Plug & Play o/s { yes } 2. Reset config data {no} 3. Numlock {no}

peripheral configuration
IDE configuration
Diskette configuration
Event Log configuration
Video configuration

Under boot is :-

Quiet boot Enabled
Intel ® rapid Bios boot disabled
Scan user flash area disabled
Usb boot disabled

Boot device priority
Hard disk drive
Removable devices

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Uh oh no cdrom drive listed. This would mean a faulty drive or a loose cable.

pcans

pcans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
When I put the Win98 startup disk, the CD will show up but when I go into boot to set it #1 after reboot it wll get lost again.
I Partition the Hard drive with the Win98 start up disk.

Under boot device priority is:-
1st boot device......... {removable device}
2nd boot device........{hard drive}
3rd boot device.........{IBA 4. 0. 19 slot 0208}

#4 will be the CD but it just get lost

Under PCI configuration is:-

PCI slot 1 IRQ priority {auto}
PCI slot 2 IRQ priority {auto}
PCI slot 3 IRQ priority {auto}

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is the important area you need to worry about.

1st boot device......... {removable device}
3rd boot device.........{IBA 4. 0. 19 slot 0208}

The cdrom has to be the first boot device in order for the XP disk to work correctly.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 January 2010 - 05:50 PM.

pcans

pcans

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes sometimes the CD will showup when I start the compter with win98 startup disk then it will look like this
1st CD rom
3rd boot device......... {removable device}
4th boot device.........{IBA 4. 0. 19 slot 0208}
But this is under boot not advance

and under advanced is :-
PCI configuration
Boot configuration............1. Plug & Play o/s { yes } 2. Reset config data {no} 3. Numlock {no}
peripheral configuration
IDE configuration
Diskette configuration
Event Log configuration
Video configuration
check under boot configuration, I go Yes or No
1. Plug & Play O/S { yes } or No
2. Reset config data {no} or Yes
3. Numlock {no}or Yes

Edited by pcans, 16 January 2010 - 06:09 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well it looks like a bad drive for sure. Can you borrow a drive from someone?
If not then you will just have to keep trying to boot it with the cd in. The steps to do the format and install are You can go to HERE to read the tutorial by one of the members here on how to do a Fresh Install or Repair Installation of you OS.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 January 2010 - 06:46 PM.