Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Requested Lookup Key Error Message

• Please log in to reply

lizkkk

lizkkk

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
1/2/2010 a virus killed my computer. I took it to the Big Box store (BB=sames initials of the actual store) and they, I did not realize at the time, were jammed with repairs.

Yesterday, 1/15/2010 -- 2 weeks later, I get my computer back.

In course of repair, because I had such huge photo file, I brought in my external drive for them to download the computer data they had to save before fixing the computer.

I copied back all files on external drive last night (the huge photo file was primary importance).

Two problems, the first the major one:

(A) AOL comes up on my screen. But when I try to get to any other web site, this error comes up:

"The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context."

(B) I assumed that my emails would be saved when they transferred data to the store's backup ("mule"). I cannot find them.

It is 5:00 a.m. in the morning. I am typing on my laptop (above computer is a desktop).

Can someone give me a quick/easy fix for this non-computer person??

I forsee I am going to be making yet another trip to that store anyway.

It has been [bleep] dealing with them. 2/3's of their workload at the moment is virus-related, so too many broken computers, not enough geeks, and frankly, I do not care what their problems are. I paid $300 for a repair that is still incomplete.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First, have you been running AOL for your browser on your computer? If you have you need to do the setup for your internet connection in AOL. If you have not been running AOL, you need to delete AOL off your computer and either run IE or Firefox.You may need to run winsockfix to get a connection in XP.

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

As for the emails, if you did not ask for them to be saved they probably did not save them. Although i usually ask customers when i am reformatting and-or reinstalling windows, i do not usually save them.You can find out if anything has be saved if you follow these tutorials.

http://www.sitedevel...als/outlook.htm

Scroll to the bottom for outlook express.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 16 January 2010 - 08:34 AM.

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for quick reply.

I went to the Big Box store. First, they say they do not save emails unless they are archived. (Was it my responsibility to ask for them to do so?? I assumed they would but in retrospect, it looks like I should have specified it to at least be forewarned.)

I do a lot of photoshop. Those programs (and any others I had) were not saved. They do not do that because of 'legal' reasons. (They do not know the customer legitimately is using them.) Geesh.

Lastly, I could not get beyond the AOL screen because they had not reinstalled Windows on my computer.

My response to the gal: How can you return a computer to a computer stupid person (like myself) without Windows working?? Excuse: We do not know which Windows the customer wants installed.

Again, I am totally computer stupid except for some basic things. But I spent $300 and they return a computer to me that would not get me to Google (and beyond)??

What the heck is that about.

My solution to this: I need a personal local geek. I live in Charlotte, NC. Do you have any recommendations as to how to locate/hire one that can come to my house and perhaps save emails/programs if this was to ever happen again?

Edited by lizkkk, 16 January 2010 - 10:36 AM.

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay - now the problem is I cannot get to the Internet at all.

I tried to call Big Box but no one answering phone. Will try again.

When I attempt to get to internet, I get an error page full of stuff explaining why it does not work.

The term repeated over and over is: HTTP: Error 12007.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The tech support guy forum has a similar thread on this subject. I would try what they say there to fix the problem.

http://forums.techgu...or-12007-a.html

That is all i can suggest for now, i am still looking into a fix for this.

SRX660

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Okay.

I had a computer guy locally try to help over the phone and he could not help.

Thanks for link to other forum. WIll view too.

Liz

lizkkk

lizkkk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
dupe

Edited by lizkkk, 16 January 2010 - 07:25 PM.