Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Freezes Up

• Please log in to reply

Krony

Krony

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi, New to this site but I need help and from reading through it seems it may be the place to be.

My 18 year old son's PC has been freezing up. I mention his age because he has a lot of junk downloaded that may be causing the problems.

The machine will sometimes run for only a few minutes sometimes for over an hour before it becomes unresponsive. Then whatever is running stops, the mouse can move but clicks have no effect, and then the mouse freezes and the high-pitched buzz lets me know everything is stopped and I have to reboot.

I've tried running Malwarebytes, but the PC either freezes after a few minutes, or the one time it completed - finding 24 items - freezes when I try to view and then delete.

Sending this before I freeze up and then will send another note with an event log.

Hope someone can help.

Advertisements

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Had to reboot twice and copy to another PC to get this done.

Please help.

THANKS

EDIT - System would not let me attach the .evt files. How can I do this?

Edited by Krony, 16 January 2010 - 09:53 AM.

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
More Info about the system and what I've tried.

Velocity Micro Vector GX
Windows XP Home SP3
4 gig Ram

Background
  • My son uses this PC and does not maintain it well. He'll download anything!
  • First sign of a problem was inability to print over the network to printer attached to PC.
  • Seemed to be a problem with the network card. Replaced the card and the connection issue seemed solved. Not sure if the freezing problem existed at this time.
  • Noticed that Norton AV was not up to date so ran live update. Files udated but date of last update did not change (?)
  • Also ran MalwareBytes and found and corrected a number of issues. The issues included trojan vundo so a ran VundoFix and it did not find anything. I assumed MalwareBytes took care of it. Everything seemed OK at this point.
  • Next day was the first time I saw the freezing problem. Again not sure if it was there before or not, but now it was here for sure.
  • Ran CCleaner.
  • Tried to run MalwareBytes again but froze.
  • Used System Restore to restore to a point about a month earlier when I know there was no issues.

Please help! Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Krony.... Welcome to GeeksToGo,,

Please do not reply to your own topic as it makes it look like you are getting assistance to us that can help.
have you tried to boot into Safe Mode and see if you can run AV there?
I need to get some logs but if system will not stay started we may have a OS, PSU, Overheating or motherboard issue.

Try booting into safe mode and then do the following.

Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have not been able to start in safe mode and the PC has been quick to start.

I unchecked everything in Startup and rebooted trying to get to safe mode by hitting F8, but still unable to get there. Did get window message that I am know in a diagnostic mode and the config utility is running.

Since the system sometimes freezes in minutes and other time in hours not sure how to approach testing startup items.

Anything I can try from this screen? Reboot in Diagnostic Startup?

FYI - I have a laptop running so I can try different things on the PC while staying online here.

NEW INFO

While in the System Config Utility I ran Tools Event Viewer and under System Events see two errors that have repeated a number of time a source of Service Control Manager that says it failed to laod system-start driver driverdvr SAVRT

And a source of SVART that says Unable to initilize virus scannib database files.

Edited by Krony, 16 January 2010 - 11:25 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Once you do the steps i instructed in my last post then MSconfig will not allow all the startups to run.
If the system goes into normal mode that is fine. We can attempt to run what we need form there and hope it does not freeze on us.

First let's get some temperature readings.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Then I would like to see your Autoruns so please do the following.

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:
1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
In order to do this I have to log off here (laptop) and log on on the PC to download files.
Will be back in a few minutes.
Please info I added to my last post.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Either:
  • Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
    Type 3 in the 1 to 20 box (or any number from 1 to 20)
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.

• Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
    In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    In the To: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) 13 07 2009
    Then click the Run button.
    Notepad will open with the output log.
Please post the Output log in your next reply

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
speed Fan resultsdesktop___speed_fan.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• desktop___speed_fan.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK CPU fan is not showing rotation but that may be because it does not plug into the motherboard and therefor can not be read.
You should also check the bios as sometimes it will have a sensor reading in it that you can compare readings to.
Your readings look good for the normal components.
I will await your Autoruns and VEW reports.

Advertisements

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Was not sure what to save on AutoRun so attached a file before and after deleting "file Not Found" entries.

Also attached Vew Log

Attached Files

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just after sending my last reply, the PC froze up. I'm now back on my laptop while the PC reboots.

The Velocity Micro has a clear panel on the side and I can see that all five (!) fans are running.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

"Adobe Photo Downloader"
"Adobe Reader Speed Launcher"
"CanonMyPrinter"
"iTunesHelper" "iTunesHelper"
"MimBoot"
"NeroFilterCheck"
"NvCplDaemon"
"NvMediaCenter"
"QuickTime Task"
"SunJavaUpdateSched"
"TkBellExe"
"Microsoft Office.lnk"
"ymetray.lnk"
"swg"
"Shockwave Updater"

The next file needs to be manually disabled and is only needed if you use multi language on your keyboard. If you do then skip the step.

To turn off just ctfmon.exe go to:

Control Panel then to Regional and Language Options

Click on the Languages Tab then click the Details button

Click on the Advanced tab

Check the box that says Turn off advanced text services option

Click A and then OK

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
After unchecking items do I need to save the Autorun application or just closeit?

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
After unchecking items do I need to save the Autorun application or just closeit?