Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Freezes Up

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just a side note I saw

Although using P2P programs like BitTorrent are not illegal, the files downloaded could contain potential infections. By continuing to use these programs will put you at a higher risk for infection. If you continue to use these programs GTG may not be able to provide assistance in the future.

Also I saw that you have Symantec on your system and this may be causing a excessive amount on system resources being used. This can also slow your system down and cause freezing. Do you use Nortons for your Antivirus protection?

Also your Java may be out of date which is a security risk.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 January 2010 - 12:28 PM.

Advertisements

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Froze before TFC could run - rebooting.

As to bit torrent - I've warned my son numerous times about it but he is 18....... and won't listen.

Yes I use Norton as AV. Just got Norton 360 for another machine would you recommend that instead?

Edited by Krony, 16 January 2010 - 12:40 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Personally i do not like Norton simply because it is a resource hog. There are pleanty of free alternative that in my opinion do as good if not better. I personally use Avast
Please download Avast from my signature below. Please make sure you do the registration as it is good for a year or more. When it is due simply just reregister it.
Avast in my opinion is better because:
It's FREE to the Home User
It Updates it's Definitions daily
You can scan Individual Files, Folders and Drives
No buying new versions every year

Why pay for something when the free ones do the job just as good.

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
trying to get hrough your latest steps but the PC froze 3 times. Rebooting again.

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I continune to freeze on a regular basis before I can do anything. Last time froze while logging on and before connecting to my network. Next connected to network and froze openning rowser. Rebooting again.....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem and I am in no hurry.
As for the autoruns being closed just follow the instructions and you will be ok
BTW when was the last time the system was cleaned out?
What I mean opening the case and using a can of compressed air to blow out the dust and pay close attention tot he fans as overheating will normally be caused by a fan not turning or not turning at the correct speed because of dust buildup and making it slow down.

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK I'm running again but can not connect to Auslogics page. Times out. Tried from my laptop and I'm getting the same result. I did the Java stuff so this is the last thing you suggested that I have not tried.

Where do we go from here?

EDIT an hour and half after last post
So where have you gone? Still can't access Auslogics site. Overall problem does not seem to be any better. Next steps.

Thanks

Edited by Krony, 16 January 2010 - 02:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm sorry I was busy with others also yesterday. I did not mean to ignore you and I apologize.
Try getting Auslogics HERE
This all could be caused by a infection but unless we can get the freezing problem stopped it will be harder to do as they ask.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

Go to
Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 January 2010 - 09:40 AM.

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Auslogics is running. Hope it can finish and not freeze in progress.

Noticed yesterday, when I rebooted, and did not immediately select a user account (there are two on the machine) that the PC froze at the Welcome Screen. Not sure if this is relevant.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hopefully the chkdsk /r will be able to fix some of this when it runs. Please let me know if it finds and corrects anything as you would need to rerun it then till it doesn't find and fix any problems. This will ensure everything is correct there.

Advertisements

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Been trying to get Auslogic defrag to finish the whole disk. It runs and then freezes. Only about 50% defraged by now and I gave up rebooting and running it.

Ran Who Crashed and attached report below.

Going to run Check Disk as you suggested. Just not sure I will know if it is still running or if it stopped somewhere because of freezing up.

I have access through another PC so will give you feedback on where I'm at sometime later today.

WHO CRASHED
Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

Crash dumps are enabled and no valid crash dumps have been found on your computer. In case your computer does experience sudden reboots it is likely these are caused by malfunctioning hardware, power failure or a thermal issue. To troubleshoot a thermal issue, check the temperature using your BIOS setup program, check for dust in CPU and motherboard fans and if your computer is portable make sure it's located on a hard surface. Otherwise it's suggested you contact the support department of the manufacturer of your system or test your system with a memory test utility for further investigation.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and I will wait for your results.

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
chkdsk ran and completed. Did not see any error messages (but I was not watching when it completed). When I came back to the PC it was at the log on screen and when I clicked a user ID it froze. I rebooted.

Not sure what's next but I'm off to dinner and will not be able to work on this again to later tonight.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you have Windows CD...

1. Insert your Windows XP CD into your CD and assure that your CD-ROM drive is capable of booting the CD.
2. Once you have booted from CD, do NOT select the option that states: Press F2 to initiate the Automated System Recovery (ASR) tool.
You’re going to proceed until you see the following screen, at which point you will press the “R” key to enter the recovery console:

Posted Image

3. After you have selected the appropriate option from step two, you will be prompted to select a valid Windows installation (typically number “1").
Select the installation number, and hit Enter.
If there is an administrator password for the administrator account, enter it and hit Enter (if asked for the password, and you don't know it, you're out of luck).
You will be greeted with this screen, which indicates a recovery console at the ready:

Posted Image

4. There are eight commands you must enter in sequence to repair any of the issues I noted in the opening of this guide.
I will introduce them here, and then show the results graphically in the next six steps.
NOTE. Make sure, you press Enter after each command. Make sure, all commands are exact, including "spaces".
These commands are as follows:

CD..
ATTRIB -H C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -S C:\boot.ini
ATTRIB -R C:\boot.ini
del boot.ini
BOOTCFG /Rebuild

Note about the above command.
BOOTCFG /REBUILD command which searches for pre-existing installations of Windows XP and rebuilds sundry essential components of the Windows operating system, recompiles the BOOT.INI file and corrects a litany of common Windows errors.
It is very important that you do one or both of the following two things:
A.) Every Windows XP owner must use /FASTDETECT as OS Load Option when the rebuild process is finalizing.
B.) If you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intel’s XD or AMD’s NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN as an OS Load Option.
For the Enter Load Identifier portion of this command, you should enter the name of the operating system you have installed.
If, for example, you are using Windows XP Home, you could type Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition for the identifier (it's not crucial, however what the name is, as long, as it's meaningful).
Here is your computer screen:

Posted Image

5. Following command verifies the integrity of the hard drive containing the Windows XP installation. While this step is not an essential function in our process, it’s still good to be sure that the drive is physically capable of running windows, in that it contains no bad sectors or other corruptions that might be the culprit:

CHKDSK /R

6. This last command writes a new boot sector to the hard drive and cleans up all the loose ends we created by rebuilding the BOOT.INI file and the system files. When the Windows Recovery Console asks you if you are Sure you want to write a new bootsector to the partition C: ? just hit “Y”, then Enter to confirm your decision:

FIXBOOT

7. It’s time to reboot your PC by typing
EXIT
and pressing Enter.

With any luck, your PC will boot successfully into Windows XP as if your various DLL, Hive, EXE and NTLDR errors never existed.

2. If you don't have Windows CD...
Download Windows Recovery Console: http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso
Download, and install free Imgburn: http://www.imgburn.c...hp?act=download
Using Imgburn, burn rc.iso to a CD.
Boot to the CD...let it finish loading.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
Then, follow instructions from Step #3 above.

Thanks To Broni For The Instructions

Krony

Krony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
A couple of questions before I begin the Recovery Console:

Will this impact the data and programs I have on the PC? Will I lose anything? Will I have to reinstall programs? Note: my disk is not currently partitioned - everything is on C:

How can I tell if my CPU has NX buffer overflow protection? - " If you are the owner of a CPU featuring Intel’s XD or AMD’s NX buffer overflow protection, you must also use /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN as an OS Load Option."

And before I start - When running drefrag I found that the PC only had 13% of free space. Can the lack of disk space be causing the problems? Would selectively removing data files, providing more disk space, be a useful task?