Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need old Geek knowledge

• Please log in to reply

otieatkins

otieatkins

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Good Morning!
I have 2 VERY old hard drives. The first is a Seagate Barracuda ATA V 30 GB. The second is a TriGem 6.4 gb (SV0643D/TGE)?

I can't seem to access either one. I have a hard drive case that they can go into but then when I hook it up to the computer (USB) the case is connected (lights on) but still no hard drive.

Any suggestions? I'd love to be able to get the "stuff" off them.

Thanks so much......

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing to check is the jumper on the back of the drives. A lot of the old drives do not work in a computer unless the jumper is set to slave and they are hooked to the middle connector on the IDE ribbon data cable.Check the jumper to see if it is in master - Slave - Cable select position. You may have to have the drive in the "master" setting if you use a external HD enclosure.

The slave setting is the right 2 pins looking at the back of the HD on Seagate drives.I cannot find what they are on trigem drives. Trigem drives are really just rebranded drives usually made by seagate or samsung.

SRX660

otieatkins

otieatkins

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Thanks SRX660 - my Seagate jumpers are set to the third set of two
0 0 X 0
0 0 X 0
I move them to the last set and see how that works.