Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Worlds Best RAM?

• Please log in to reply

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Anyone know the worlds best RAM aka most expensive but has to the best?

As of: 16 January 2010

I need to buy.

If there is no such thing, then just in your opinion. I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is a personal preference because it will depend on who you ask.
The most expensive does not really mean the best because price does not guarantee compatibility or guarantee to not fail.
I myself prefer Corsair but a close running second and third are
OCZ and Mushkin
Crucial and then Kingston round out my top 5 picks.

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
For example, anything better than this?

Corsair Dominator 4GB

Edited by JoxonDandry, 16 January 2010 - 11:27 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If your system can accept it then I would go with it.
Have you checked to make sure by going to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
This G.Skill memory is some of the fastest available. Of course, without knowing the rest of your system specs, there's no way of knowing if it is compatible with your system. It is DDR3 memory, so your motherboard must use DDR3. In addition, you need a high-end CPU and motherboard in order to run this memory at its full potential.

Having said that, the speed differences among high-end memory are relatively small. It would be a better use of your money to get slightly slower, yet cheaper, RAM, and get a better CPU (or GPU if you are a gamer), which will impact your overall system performance more.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I believe we need ot have the online scanner results to decide which memory is actually compatible with your system. You are referencing DDR2 and as Stettybet0 has stated and I agree your system would need to be able to handle the DDR3 to use it.

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Don't worry about my machine, it's worth £6000

@
Stetty

http://www.yoyotech.co.uk/gskill-perfect-storm-series-ddr3-2200-17600-memory-p-2787056.html

That any better?

Edited by JoxonDandry, 16 January 2010 - 04:05 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm confused as to which memory your system uses. You first referenced DDR2 memory and now you are referencing DDR3.
This is why I asked about the crucial scanner results so we could assist you better.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 January 2010 - 04:35 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Joxon, the RAM I linked to earlier will probably provide slightly more bandwidth if properly tweaked, though only by a negligible amount.

Though, as rshaffer61 has reiterated, we cannot recommend any RAM purchase to you without knowing your system specs.

JoxonDandry

JoxonDandry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-338-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
According to NewEgg HERE your memory choices are pretty open.

Memory Standard
DDR3 1866(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333 /1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory
Support Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

Anything HERE will work,
These HERE should also work. The highest priced ones being 1300.00 USD for 6 gigs of memory.

Wait for Stettybet0 to confirm my findings to make sure.

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 January 2010 - 09:12 AM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yes, DDR3 RAM is compatible with the motherboard JoxonDandry linked to. The G.Skill RAM I linked to in my first post would be what you want to get for the fastest possible RAM, even though it isn't the most expensive. With that $1300 RAM, you are paying for memory density, not speed. (And there is mushkin RAM available with the same density for $800... So it would be completely pointless to pay for the $1300 RAM.)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Stettybet0 and I agree completely with your assessment. There is no need ot buy the most expensive when the other will work just as good.
since it seems the board is capable of OCing then the speed of the ram really isn't going to be a issue because the difference with OCing will be minimal at best.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there are some interesting results comparing more ram vs faster ram...
The bottom line: If you're going to spend money on memory-contingent upgrades, buy more, not faster, memory.
go here for the complete article and the benchmarks

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
happyrock, that article was dealing with 2GB vs. 4GB. What we are dealing with here is up to 8GB of very fast RAM (the G.Skill RAM comes in 2x2GB kits and although the motherboard has 6 RAM slots, only 4 can be utilized to keep the RAM running in dual channel mode), or up to 24GB of slower RAM (the 3x4GB kits rshaffer61 mentioned which carry huge price tags). If the OP is looking for maximum performance, it is almost certain that the 8GB of faster RAM will give him this over the 24GB of slower RAM, especially if he will be overclocking since the faster RAM will give him more headroom to do so.