Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Worlds Best RAM?

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

happyrock, that article was dealing with 2GB vs. 4GB. What we are dealing with here is up to 8GB of very fast RAM (the G.Skill RAM comes in 2x2GB kits and although the motherboard has 6 RAM slots, only 4 can be utilized to keep the RAM running in dual channel mode), or up to 24GB of slower RAM (the 3x4GB kits rshaffer61 mentioned which carry huge price tags). If the OP is looking for maximum performance, it is almost certain that the 8GB of faster RAM will give him this over the 24GB of slower RAM, especially if he will be overclocking since the faster RAM will give him more headroom to do so.

actually that mobo is set up for Triple Channel...
Triple versus Dual-channel memory benchmarking here

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yes, but the G.Skill RAM I linked to only supports dual channel mode. The performance difference between dual channel and triple channel is very negligible (triple channel will win some bandwidth benchmarks, dual channel will win some latency benchmarks). The dual channel G.Skill RAM runs at 2200mhz with 7-10-10-28 timings. It would be interesting to see how it would fair against the fastest triple channel RAM available, which runs at 2133mhz with 9-9-9-24 timings.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
its been about 5 years since I played (OC & benchmarking) with ram...found a few interesting things while doing so...sometimes loosening up the timings actually increased the through put...as verified by the benchmarking scores ...also found that in real world performance...I could not tell the difference between the fastest and the slowest ram...

I am currently in the process of building a new system for myself...based on a ASUS 55P deluxe mobo
i7 860...
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 running (ONLY PAID ABOUT $80.00 AFTER REBATE ) in triple channel...
W7 64-bit...
going to try running it with no paging file at all...force the OS to run in ram
should make interesting benchmarking results

Edited by happyrock, 18 January 2010 - 08:35 AM.