Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HELP! Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop Screen Going Black, Booting up OK

• Please log in to reply

xraychick181

xraychick181

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
SO here's the deal: I have a Dell Inspiron 1525 only a year & a half old, runs Windows Vista Home. Suddenly, last week, the screen would start to flicker and then suddenly go black. Adjusting brightness does nothing. Changing screen resolution doesn't help either. It does this weather or not the laptop is plugged into AC power. I can very faintly see the desktop (almost like there is a dark blanket over top of the screen), however not enough to be able to see the pointer or be able to do anything. So I reboot using the power button -- the first couple times it did this, rebooting seemed to solve the problem. Now it just keeps doing it over and over no matter how many times I reboot.

I tried holding down <Fn> & power keys to do the diagnostic test, but in the middle of it the screen went black and I couldn't see what was going on (although again, very faintly in the background I could see the progress bars moving). So it seems to be booting up perfectly fine, all the lights on the keyboard stay lit, but the screen just keeps going black & I can't see anything. So I don't believe it is a hard drive or memory problem.

Also, I didn't start having this problem until AFTER I had used a friend's HDMI cable to hook up my laptop to her TV in order for us to watch movies. I don't know if that could be related or not??

The only thing I haven't been able to try yet is plugging it into an external monitor via VGA cable, because I'm not at home & don't have access to my cable or TV. If there is anything else that I could try in the meantime or if anyone knows from this description if there is simply a part I need to have replaced, please reply! I noticed a post that someone was having this similar problem but not quite the same as mine. I've searched online FAQ's, even done Dell's online troubleshooting, to no avail, and am trying to avoid fee-based support if there is something I can do to fix this problem myself! Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Edited by xraychick181, 16 January 2010 - 04:44 PM.

Advertisements

xraychick181

xraychick181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
OK just incase anyone has read this that might be able to offer some advice, I did hook up the laptop to another monitor via VGA and it functions perfectly fine.
A friend suggested I try to uninstall the video drivers and manually install updated drivers from the dell website (not automatically update drivers)...so, going to try that. Seems to be a lot of people at least viewing this topic so if there are other people having this similar problem I'll at least post what the outcome was...hopefully this will fix it!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No need for the drivers since a external monitor works. That means the drivers are fine.
Your issue is a faulty laptop screen.

xraychick181

xraychick181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yes, I think I learned that the hard way...grr...so this is basically something I can't fix? Is it even worth taking it somewhere to be fixed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Cost on the replacement screen can vary a lot depending on where you purchase the replacement.
HERE is one example of the price. Not bad actually at 109.00 USD plus shipping. From there then the issue is if you feel comfortable enough to do the replacement yourself or pay someone to do it.

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 January 2010 - 12:28 PM.

xraychick181

xraychick181

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thanks so much for your help and the link, I'll have to weigh my options I suppose!
:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with.

timjan2005

timjan2005

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a laptop(Inspiron 1525) doing the exact same thing as descibed here. I had tried fixing it by changing the inverter board out but this didn't help.

Can one be sure it's the LCD screen? Could it be the mother board somehow?

like described, i can watch my system bootup and run just fine with an external monitor.
It's just the LCD screen is very very dim.

Alexander_bird

Alexander_bird

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just a thought and I have no idea if this will work with a dell but - I had this same problem with a new HP and discovered that it was a problem w/ the hibernate settings. The fix from HP was to pull the battery and then hold the power button for at least 30 seconds and then reboot. Last was to turn off the hibernate feature under the screan saver power settings.

Good Luck

JustsayMo

JustsayMo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the exact same issues with my Dell 1525. Was this issue ever resolved?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
JustsalMo the issue was a result of a faulty laptop screen. Have you tried a external monitor to see if it works with that? If so then your issue is a faulty screen and may need to be replaced.