Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows IE8 Won't Open Due to Incompatible Add-On

• Please log in to reply

brdinkel

brdinkel

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I got hit by Netsky virus early this week and have gone through numerous suggestions found in the forums to resolve (TFC, ERUNT, MBAM, updated McAfee). I was required to repair Windows XP due to registry file damage and the inability to get into Windows. SpyBot and Malware have both been run to verify clean up of my desktop computer and McAfee virus software updated. I didn't go as far as running the rootkit or OTL software, b/c everything appeared to be resolved.

I was initially able to access the internet after getting back into Windows, however, I ran the Windows update function to get patches, etc. as recommended and can no longer get IE to launch. I get the following note: "The 'Drive Letter Acccess Component' add-on version '1.0.0.1' published by '(Not verified) Sonic Solutions' is not compatible with Internet Explorer 8." It doesn't matter which of the 3 selections I choose (1. Check online for update, 2. Always open IE without this add-on, or 3. Keep using add-on anyway at risk of IE crashing), IE will not launch. I also tried Start/Accessories/System Tools/Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) and it will not open.

I'm looking for any suggestions on what to do next.

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Uninstall IE8. It'll revert to IE7.

Your computer may be still infected though.

brdinkel

brdinkel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Uninstalled IE8 using Microsoft alternative method (SR3 update wouldn't uninstall) and when IE7 didnt' work, reverted to XP repair which loaded IE6. I'm still in the midst of many microsoft updates, but IE7 is now loaded an working.

You mentioned that my computer may still be infected. I've run MBAM and Spybot again with no results indicating infected files. What else should I do to verify? Run rootkit and OTL and post results? If so, should that be here or under a new posting in the spyware, virus forum?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Good news then :)
To be on a safe side I'd post those logs at malware forum.