Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP components won't install

• Please log in to reply

oviedo7

oviedo7

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Trying to steamline things a bit I accidently removed more than I wanted from the Add/Remove Windows Components in the Add/Remove programs guide.

Normally you can add the components as easy as you remove them, but a lot of the stuff suddenly won't?

Now there's always a file that the installation process "can't copy"... The specific files change from time to time, and usually it's some of the ones in the system32 or i386 folders. Fx.: accwiz.exe in c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386... It says I should try and look for the file or insert the "service pack 3 cd". Nothing happens though!?

This particular computer didn't come with no XP install disc. I tried a disc from another but it said the files were older on that one...

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

It says I should try and look for the file or insert the "service pack 3 cd"

go here get SP3...burn to cd...

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I made an ISO image cd of SP3 but during the installation of the component I couldn't find any of the files in question...

Edited by oviedo7, 24 January 2010 - 04:59 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what are you doing when you get the error message...

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
When in the Add/remove programs I try and install windows components. It looks for the files in the c:i386 or the windows/servicepackfiles/i386 folders. The files in question are present - but it won't install them.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

How to use Scannow sfc...

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

for vista...
go to the run box and type in cmd
instead of hitting the Enter key press Ctrl+Shift + Enter You will be prompted with the obnoxious User Account Control dialog… but it will then open up a command prompt in Administrator mode...then type in sfc /scannow

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Is sfc/scannow located on a Win XP cd?

I have tried using the XP cd from my other - older - computer, and it complains about the copy of the files are outdated compared to the other...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can slipsteam the service packs onto your old version of xp...guide is here

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay and then make a more up-to-date install disc? With the components and files updated?

And then try and re-install the components using an XP SP3 install disc?

Would this also minimize all the uninstall folders in the Windows folder.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

And then try and re-install the components using an XP SP3 install disc?

no... then run sfc /scannow

Would this also minimize all the uninstall folders in the Windows folder.

unless your talking about the $ntuninstall files...I don't know what you mean by that...
if that is what your talking about....don't worry about those..they are easily deleted

Advertisements

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yes I was talking about the "$ntuninstall files"...

Alright, from where to I run sfc /scannow?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try booting into safe mode with command prompt...
at the prompt..type in...sfc /scannow
NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
it may ask for the windows cd...if so ...put it in the cd drive
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay now I get it.

I will try that. Thanks for your help so far.

oviedo7

oviedo7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Sorry I've been this long to try it out and reply back...

However now I did try - but when I type in sfc /scannow it says the "Fileprotection couldn't start" with this error code: "0x000006ba [RPC-server isn't available].

Now what is all that about?

jckinnick

jckinnick

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Ive got the same problem except when i try and install the windows components back with the cd it gets about a quarter of the way done and freezes up. It did install some stuff back it looks like before freezing but there is what looks like some more important thing left to be installed.

Can anybody help?