Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is the motherboard dead ?

• Please log in to reply

citizen clive

citizen clive

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a New ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo motherboard sitting outside the case, CPU installed, CPU fan plugged in, 4 pin CPU power plugged in, 24 power pin plugged in, case switch plugged in. At this point when powering up should I get some sort of beep ? The little LED light on the board comes on, CPU fan come on, but no beeps, I put a RAM stick in and tried again still no beeps. What do you think, motherboard DOA.

Thanks,

Clive

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Motherboard speaker plugged in because if not you won't hear anything.
Here is the location of it.

citizen clive

citizen clive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the really quick reply.

No I didn't have the speaker hooked up. It's a Antec 300 case and I can't find a speaker or speaker wire anywhere in the case. it has a 10-pin AC'97 and a 10-pin HDA connecter. I guess I'll carry on with the build and see if it all work, bummer if I can never hear the post beeps.

Thanks

Clive

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
There should be a small speaker mounted toward the front of the case or the motherboard itself would have come with a little speaker to connect on.
The way you are bench testing it you should be able to plug keyboard and mouse in and the monitor and you should get at least post screen.

Edited by rshaffer61, 16 January 2010 - 09:32 PM.

citizen clive

citizen clive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Update

Can not find a speaker in the case or the motherboard.

Plugged the 10-pin HDA connector from the case to the motherboard, use a pair of headphones hoping to hear the beeps, have no idea if you can hear the post beeps through the onboard audio.

Plugged in the monitor, mouse and keyboard, nothing came up on the screen. So it looks like a major problem somewhere, Iíll return it all to the store Monday.

Thanks for the help rshaffer61,

Clive

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep, I would also make sure top check the new one for the required speaker as that is important to have.
No you can't hear the beep through the headphone speaker connection as you described,
Please let us know what they find out for you.

citizen clive

citizen clive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
update

Motherboard was bad, tested and replaced by store. They did say my build-looked solid so Iím happy about that.

The tech at the store all so said that the case manufactures are starting to make caseís without the little speakerís in them, I looked at the 10 caseís they had on display and two didnít have the little speakerís in them. Below is the reply I received from the Antec tech support.

Hi,

most newer mb and cases do not use the internal speakers anymore. If you check the mb, it should have a LED light...if not you will need to buy the internal speaker found in most electronic computer stores...

they are usually a 4 pin header type.

thank you
antec support!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well it's good they determined the Motherboard was bad and good the store honored it and replaced for you.
The speaker issue is true about cases not having them most of the time now.
I myself would invest in the little speaker just so you can get the post beep. Call me old fashion but I want to hear the beep to know the motherboard is posting correctly. Looking at the picture from post 2 I linked to the connector is a 4 pin connector with one empty pin connection.

citizen clive

citizen clive

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm with you I'd rather hear the beep on start up, I'm going to stop at surplus gizmos on the way home tonight, bet I can find a whole bunch of them there.

Clive

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know how it works then and if you need further assistance on getting everything up and running I am here to help.
surplus gizmos looks like a interesting little store. Do they do laptop replacement parts like screens?
If so I get a lot of topics here on bad screens and that would be a great little source to be able to point users to.