Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I had a virus and I reconfigured my comp

• Please log in to reply

Rini^^

Rini^^

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok...its near the end of the school year. I am was researching for a paper and I went on a site and well I think that is where I got my virus thing from. I scanned my comp with Mcaffe and then it said that it could not be quarantined, cleaned, or deleted. I put the recovery disc in and erased everything (even all of my work :tazz: ). Then I called my cable company and told them....long story shot... the comp runs really slow, my screen goes black sometimes, I have cable...and it goes as slow as dial up. I don't know what to do. My friend told me to come to this forum so I hope and pray that some one can help me out. Also...I have a question (another one) you know when you d/l things, and it doesn't finish? how do you free up that space and delete it? Anyone that can help me I am greatful. Thanks for your time^^.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
last question first

reboot, navigate to c:\windows\temp, delete everything in there date before today (click VIEW > DETAILS, then sort on column MODIFIED)

first question.

need more info on your system, specifically, motherboard, nic card maker

what do you mean screen goes black?

Rini^^

Rini^^

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

last question first

reboot, navigate to c:\windows\temp, delete everything in there date before today (click VIEW > DETAILS, then sort on column MODIFIED)

first question.

need more info on your system, specifically, motherboard, nic card maker

what do you mean screen goes black?

View Post

Ok well lets just say for example I am on this forum...the screen will go black, then it will come back up. You know what I mean??? I don't know... now things have worsened. I can't get onto the internet ( I know that you are thinking that Iam on it now, but I am at my friends house) . I used the clean sweep thing, and the ad ware remover thing that this forum told me...but now I can't get the internet. I had all of these shortcuts to [bleep] on my desktop. Then I threw them away and they kept coming back. Should I just stick the recovery disc in anyways and then delete everything , then come and download all of the stuff that you recommend? I Don't know what to do...... I am really really stressing out. There is 8 more days until my paper is due........PLease, PLease help me....if there is any way that I can repay you, I will. I don't know... please just let me know. I am very greatful that you are helping me. Thank you. I willl wait for you to reply. Thanks^^!

I have a compaq presario... I am really dumb when it comes to computers and I don't know what a motherboard and nic card maker....sorry.

Edited by Rini^^, 19 May 2005 - 12:14 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Sounds like multiple problems, but the first is malware--we need to get that cleaned up before we can work on the rest

Please go to the malware forum in my signature and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty, then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

Burn a cd with all the software in that thread and load it on your computer