Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Suggestions for replacing MSI mobo

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
It appears that my MSI K9NBPM2-FID mobo is partially dead but totally useless. The system was homebuilt (2007)around a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (AM2 socket) and 2 gb Cosair XMS2 DDR2-800. The C: drive is IDE and the second drive is SATA.

I've found one retailer that appears to still have one of these out of production boards in stock. It would simplify rebuilding the system in that the Windows XP home should not have a problem and force me to reactivate the OS. However, I have some reluctance to go back with the same board and an old one at that.

The only thing I would really like to add in a rebuild would be an eSATA connector. The other system components are a DVD ROM, CD R/W and floppy. I don't remember the last time I used a floppy (other than as a substitute throwing star) so a floppy connector is of no consequence.

Does anyone have recommendations for a board that would allow me to keep the old process and memory.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most boards only have one IDE connector now so assuming your DVD Rom and CD-RW are both IDEs, you're not going to get everything connected anyway.

Any AM2+ board would be fine for the basics, where are you located?

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
My current failed board has only one connector. I am able to connect both the DVD Rom and the CD R/W with a three connector IDE cable. I've had no problem with either device. Even if I could not do the same thing with the next mobo I would not mind changing out the dvd rom to sata dvd R/W. I've seen them as cheap as 20 for a name brand with good ones in the mid $30.

As for where I am...Kentucky

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
One thing I did not consider is changing to windows 7. I've already got my upgrade disc. I assume that at the worst I would need some new drivers and BIOS update?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

My current failed board has only one connector. I am able to connect both the DVD Rom and the CD R/W with a three connector IDE cable. I've had no problem with either device. Even if I could not do the same thing with the next mobo I would not mind changing out the dvd rom to sata dvd R/W. I've seen them as cheap as 20 for a name brand with good ones in the mid $30.

Yes but you say you have an IDE hard drive and now you have two IDE CD units. With all due respect you can't run three IDE devices on one cable, all IDE cables are three connectors. One to the board and the other two to the devices. Where does this other IDE hard drive connect please?